General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Extremely High Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 02:25 AM
Default Extremely High Oil Pressure

168,000km Was running excellent prior to sleep. The car sat for along time, almost 6 years. First started last fall (and periodically run since) butsat in driveway untill a few weeks ago when it was finally drivin. New Oil filter, new oil, new fuel filter.

The pressure guage jumps wildly, sometimes pegged as high as it can go. Flutters around, growing higher then just spikes high. Seems to do it more when first started, but does the same thing when it's been drivin for over an hour. More so at idle.A good push on the pedal usually brings it back down to where it should be, but it will do it when under power too. Never goes lower than where it should be. No strange noises or anything audiable. I noticed some oil slicks on my driveway today, with a little puddle of oil. Didn't notice any oil leaks prior to today, but the oil pressurehas been doing that strange thingsince it was first started. Not sure where it's leaking from.

Engine seems to have fuel delivery and/or ignition problems too. Pretty gutless and jerks around some, especially at lower RPM's, the higher you go the smoother she runs. Lags under power, but as soon as the foot comes off a little, there is a jolt of power. Seems to run smoother just after acceleration.

I have a video ofthe pressure guagebut don't know how to post it(plus it's 28mb, but I can probably find a way to shrink it some). Email me and I can send it to you.

Unrelated....The tach is showing twice what the engine is doing. I have a MSD blaster coil, and I've heard it might be the culprit, but I don't remember the tach doing this prior to the sleep.

Any thoughts?

1990 IROC 305 TPI

Old 05-19-2007, 09:54 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Extremely High Oil Pressure

I think you have a number of unrelated problems. The rough engine running is probably some sort of "tuning" issue(plugs, ignition, injectors, timing, etc., etc.). Theoil pressure seems most like a loose wire to me (oilpressure usually does not spike andfluctuate near instantly as you seem to indicate) -- if I had to guess I'd say an intermitant open ground somewhere. The tach -- yeah, sounds like you have that one right.