General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Door Won't Open - arrggh

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 06:49 PM
mmw
Default Door Won't Open - arrggh

This seems silly and easy, but isn't really either of those, so I am looking for help. My '94's driver's door will not open. The handle seems to operate properly and in looking down the door I can see the lever arm the handle is attached to moving, but it will not unlatch. Pulling on the arm extending from the inside handle again seems to feel the same as usual, but doesn't open. Of course, the Torx bolts that hold the latching mechanism into the door shell can only be accessed with the door open, so how the heck can this problem be solved?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Door Won't Open - arrggh

Thats a *****! Niether inside or outside opens the door??? does the door unlock? posible power door lock solenoid sticking.
Pull on handle and have some one push on door. Sometimes unlubed latches stick very well. Sometimes they have plastick on the latch also and it wears and gets jambed up.
Put the window down and enter Dukes of Hazard style.
Not sure the latches are the same style but, Put the window down and there should be a rod that pushes on a lever to open. Try useing a long screwdrive or anything to push on that lever. look down between the outer door and door panel to see it. Sometimes the parts get so worn the handle wont lift up enogh to push the lever any more.
Good Luck

Old 07-21-2006, 02:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The rod that connects from the doors handle to the opening mechanism might be broken. Sometimes it might still feel the same, like it is trying to open, but it is actually broken. Get some light, and take a real good look down there. Either way, you can also try getting a hooked metal rod and try to manually move things around in the door. Seometimes it is just as simple as something being frozen up or just being hard on you.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:37 PM
mmw

Thanks much for the thoughts. We were actually able to get the interior panel off enough to see and get hands in the door. All the levers and rods are in tact and seem to be working right. I assume something happened in that "box' that's attached to the inside of the door that the levers go to, but I can't figure out how you can "override" or remove that mechanism without the door open. Anyone? The Dukes of Hazzard entry & exit gets old pretty fast!

Old 07-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Overdrive Member

Try to see what the rods from the handles and lock acctuate and work those things manualy at the latch. All while a helper is either pushing or pulling the door open. Spray some WD-40 on the latch also.
And I have not been able to do it Dukes style since I was 25.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Tech Droid

You won't be able to get in Dukes style unless you roll down the window first. LOL

Old 07-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: z28pete

You won't be able to get in Dukes style unless you roll down the window first. LOL
Good point to bring up! Every one take note of this

Old 07-05-2007, 07:40 PM

on my situation, though mercedes is equipped with durable door handles, it would not surely last for lifetime because of some elements that affects its function.perhaps because of a little carelessness, i might neglected that one small part until the door has been defected. i urgently looked for an aftermarketmercedes benz door handle through online.