General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

Fastest V6 on CF? I sure hope so...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i wonder... how old is skyline? If you gotta ask why, then you wouldnt understand....

Old 10-29-2009, 12:26 AM
2nd Gear member

Ya a pushrod v8 is so old school but yet some of the best motors built today are pushrods motors, and why did you waist the time and money on your car when you could have gotton something with a bigger motor,instead of waisting money on your all mighty car you have, and i hope you know v6 bashing is aganist the rules here.

Oh and no i have picked up a magizine latley and i still see these old technolgy motors on top,and skylines getting there *** beat by old camaros with these single cam pushrod motors. cause you know old technogly isnt crap compared to your badass G35 right. well thats at least what you say.

And have you ever owned a car thats older than you.

Last edited by 73camaroSS; 10-29-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 750chop
i wonder... how old is skyline? If you gotta ask why, then you wouldnt understand....
Old enough to have owned my first Camaro 34 years ago.

I do understand why folks in this hobby do things just to be different, that's what makes the car hobby great. It just seemed like a huge effort and expense to get a result that brings one pretty much to what a stock Z28 or SS has as a starting point. Does that make MusicMan's ride any less cool?...no, I think it's awesome. Testing the boundaries of the V6 motor is quite interesting from an analytical standpoint. But for me, I'd still rather have a V8, (for less money).

Old 10-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Fancy Sparkle

Originally Posted by Skyline
Old enough to have owned my first Camaro 34 years ago.

I do understand why folks in this hobby do things just to be different, that's what makes the car hobby great. It just seemed like a huge effort and expense to get a result that brings one pretty much to what a stock Z28 or SS has as a starting point. Does that make MusicMan's ride any less cool?...no, I think it's awesome. Testing the boundaries of the V6 motor is quite interesting from an analytical standpoint. But for me, I'd still rather have a V8, (for less money).
his v6 is his DD/auto-x car. he's got a 10 second Fox body Stang also. i'll tell you right now, a V8 can be way too much for an auto-x race, i know from experience.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1990CamaroRS
his v6 is his DD/auto-x car. he's got a 10 second Fox body Stang also. i'll tell you right now, a V8 can be way too much for an auto-x race, i know from experience.
Well, I've autocrossed ALL sorts of vehicles, and even organized major events. I can tell you that a stock Z28 has a MUCH better chance of being competitive than this worked V6. At least if you're talking SCCA Solo II regulations anyway. I do agree that an equally powered V6 might get around a tight course slightly better and quicker than a V8, (while the V6 is lighter, it's not by a huge margin). The problem is that the internal engine modifications that MusicMan has done will put the car into either a Modified or Prepared category. In Modified, you'd end up competing against cars that look like they came from the World of Outlaws. Tube frame monstrosities with huge aero devices, and a power to weight ratio approaching a sport bike. At best, you might end up in Prepared, so then you'd only have to compete against cars that are basically full out Trans Am type racers. Either way, you have no chance at all. These type of mods pretty much screw you for autocross classification.

It does take a certain talent to put a high power muscle car around the cones quickly, but it can be done. And it's great to watch National Champion level drivers do this. From what I can see from the current SCCA Solo II rules, a stock class Z28 would have a pretty decent chance of being competitive. I'm not quite sure, but I think certain SS cars and SLP cars move to a much harder class, but the plain Z28s have managable competition.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

To be fair Skyline isn't bashing, he has some good points.

But MusicMan's project makes a lot of sense. You could say go trade it for a Z28 for the same price, but you're forgetting he has a brand new built V6 now. For the money he spent on that plus the value of his car, he could get a used Z28 yes, but with what, 80, 90 k miles? There's also no way he could have done a V8 swap for the same amount of money either, because you have to pretty much replace everything in the car for that, as others have said. Sure Music's V6 is just catching up to LT1s and G35s, but so what? He has a brand new engine for $2500. Can't beat that.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Fancy Sparkle

Originally Posted by Skyline
Well, I've autocrossed ALL sorts of vehicles, and even organized major events. I can tell you that a stock Z28 has a MUCH better chance of being competitive than this worked V6. At least if you're talking SCCA Solo II regulations anyway. I do agree that an equally powered V6 might get around a tight course slightly better and quicker than a V8, (while the V6 is lighter, it's not by a huge margin). The problem is that the internal engine modifications that MusicMan has done will put the car into either a Modified or Prepared category. In Modified, you'd end up competing against cars that look like they came from the World of Outlaws. Tube frame monstrosities with huge aero devices, and a power to weight ratio approaching a sport bike. At best, you might end up in Prepared, so then you'd only have to compete against cars that are basically full out Trans Am type racers. Either way, you have no chance at all. These type of mods pretty much screw you for autocross classification.

It does take a certain talent to put a high power muscle car around the cones quickly, but it can be done. And it's great to watch National Champion level drivers do this. From what I can see from the current SCCA Solo II rules, a stock class Z28 would have a pretty decent chance of being competitive. I'm not quite sure, but I think certain SS cars and SLP cars move to a much harder class, but the plain Z28s have managable competition.
SLP cars iirc are all in B-stock.

and btw, his car in stock form would be classed in G-stock (not certain if the classing is any different from NASA to SCCA, i run in NASA). i know that my little 191ci has a near 400lbs weight difference off the 305 and 350 powered 3rd gens. plus my overall weight distribution is better (48.9% front, 51.1% rear). the only problem i've found is my offset tire sizes have caused understeer (235/60/15's front, 255/60/15's rear)

Old 10-29-2009, 02:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by DMateo
To be fair Skyline isn't bashing, he has some good points.

But MusicMan's project makes a lot of sense. You could say go trade it for a Z28 for the same price, but you're forgetting he has a brand new built V6 now. For the money he spent on that plus the value of his car, he could get a used Z28 yes, but with what, 80, 90 k miles? There's also no way he could have done a V8 swap for the same amount of money either, because you have to pretty much replace everything in the car for that, as others have said. Sure Music's V6 is just catching up to LT1s and G35s, but so what? He has a brand new engine for $2500. Can't beat that.
He still did not answer the one big question...will it pass emissions? I'm sure it would get by in a state like Florida, which does virtually nothing in the way of emmissions testing, but I certainly do not see any way a car like this is getting by CARB. I think most states are somewhere in-between doing nothing and the car-mod ***** in CA. They use a smog test (some use dynos, others are stationary), and don't even check for stuff like missing cats...I'm really wondering if it can get by something like that. It kind of defeats the DD arguement if you can't pass inspection.

And given the fact that I just bought a nice clean '95 Z28 last week for $4K that has 67k miles, I have a hard time believing that a wrecked one could not be had for quite a bit less. (I promise to post pics really soon, if it ever stops raining around here!)

Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1990CamaroRS
SLP cars iirc are all in B-stock.

and btw, his car in stock form would be classed in G-stock (not certain if the classing is any different from NASA to SCCA, i run in NASA). i know that my little 191ci has a near 400lbs weight difference off the 305 and 350 powered 3rd gens. plus my overall weight distribution is better (48.9% front, 51.1% rear). the only problem i've found is my offset tire sizes have caused understeer (235/60/15's front, 255/60/15's rear)
You are correct about the un-modded V6 cars being in G-Stock, where most of the V8 Camaros are in F-Stock. But here's what I was getting at about some of the special Camaros being bumped up (from the 2009 SCCA Solo II rulebook):

STOCK CATEGORY
The following make/models are not
eligible for the Stock Category:
BMW 325 M-Technic
BMW M3 Lightweight
BMW Z8
Callaway Corvette
Chevrolet Camaro SS and
Pontiac Firebird WS6
(Level 1 and Level 2 suspension
packages only)........

There were more cars listed (from Lambos to AMG) but you get the idea.

You go strait to Street Prepared E. Or maybe Street Touring (but that puts you in a class with modded Evo's and Sti's...not a great place to be). The rulebook is totally confusing on these various factory modded Camaros...I guess you'd have to call SCCA to find out exactly. These cars were changed from 2008 to 2009...

Old 10-29-2009, 05:34 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't have emissions testing, and the cat will bolt in if I ever move somewhere that does (I can make it pass with my tuning software).

I don't compete in auto-x at all, it's just for fun. So I really don't care what class they throw me in. Although my springs are stock, my front bar came off a ws6, and my rear came off a z28 (smaller that a ws6 rear). Although recently I've been leaning more to making it a dedicated drag car since PIR is an hour away, and drag racing is cheap. Also, I'm very competitive in bracket racing since I can cut a double zero light all day long, and this thing is deathly consistent at the track. But right now it's a reliable efficient DD that is a kick in the pants to drive.

And BTW, the stang is almost in the 9's with the new stroker, just need taller tires so we don't have to let off just past the 1/8 and it's there.

Pic for those who forgot about it:
Name:  2500468102709.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  31.5 KB

Quick Reply: Fastest V6 on CF? I sure hope so...