Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Quick Head and Cam question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 05:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Quick Head and Cam question

I have a 496 BBC that i just freshly rebuilt and all I need now is a cam. The one I was looking at has a. 652/.648 lift with a. 308 duration both ways. I plan on using the car for re street and strip. Anyway I was talking to my buddy who drag races as well and says that since my valves are 2.30/1.88 I need to run at least a .700. That seems a little bit too radical for the street in my opinion but what do you guys think? Thanks.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Get all you information together. Final compression Heads flow information, if you have it, transmission type and gears, intake and carb. Write down what you want out of the car. What RPM range you plan on running... Then call a Cam manufacture. Get them to spec out an off the shelf Cam or if your feeling rich they can custom one for you. They will also tell you at that time what you need Valve spring wise and rocker options.

Just a note, It is real easy to say I want the most power out of it but what dynos the best or even gives you the best 1/4 mile times is not always the best. A lot of guys end up backing down on their cams in a year or two because the cars have no street manors and are not fun to drive. Sure they scream at 6500 RPMs but they run like crap under 4500. Make sure you know what you want before you talk to the cam manufacturer.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

he is exactly right thats what i did when i built my 436,never been happier in my life they set me up with a perfect cam,i can even run 89 octan and my car has good manners on the road and on the trackfor once in my life thecombo turned out perfect.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:58 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Get all you information together. Final compression Heads flow information, if you have it, transmission type and gears, intake and carb. Write down what you want out of the car. What RPM range you plan on running... Then call a Cam manufacture. Get them to spec out an off the shelf Cam or if your feeling rich they can custom one for you. They will also tell you at that time what you need Valve spring wise and rocker options.

Just a note, It is real easy to say I want the most power out of it but what dynos the best or even gives you the best 1/4 mile times is not always the best. A lot of guys end up backing down on their cams in a year or two because the cars have no street manors and are not fun to drive. Sure they scream at 6500 RPMs but they run like crap under 4500. Make sure you know what you want before you talk to the cam manufacturer.
+1 on this. Contact a manufacturer with your questions and tell them what plans you have on this car. Comp cams has a form to submit on their website even to find cam matches. If you will be driving it on the street a lot you may not want to go huge on a cam.