Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Decently Priced SBC Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 02:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Okay. I still have yet to call up my mechanic or take a trip to the junk yard, but I was just looking online for vortec heads and I found this http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=302400 It seems to be priced well and can take both vortec and non-vortec style intake manifolds. I am not sure if this will take center bolt style valve cover or not, and would that make much of a difference. From what I have seen online, this seems to be a great deal. I can see what I can salvage from the old heads since I know this is a bare bones head. So what do you guys think. Is this a smart move?

Old 03-01-2009, 09:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

There is really nothing that you can or want to reuse from your old heads(unless the rockers are aftermarket) you would look at all new parts and would have about $900 in them without the rockers if you dont have them. Is it a good choice the answer is yes if you look the dart heads are close to the same price and might be a better head... 69 had a link for a set of aftermarket heads that looked to be a good deal I will try to find it...

Old 03-02-2009, 04:04 PM
4th Gear Member

try World Products.....

Old 03-03-2009, 02:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Griff - Would I need to get everything new from the push rods to the pistons? If you can find that link soon that would be great, but if not I will probably just end up getting the ones from the link I posted. I really need to get going on finishing this project. It's been taking way too long! I need my 'maro back burnin' rubber again!

Blackz87 - I checked out their website but all i could get was a catalog with no prices. Do I have to call them to get the prices or am I just not looking in the right place?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:22 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShiftyMcCan
Griff - Would I need to get everything new from the push rods to the pistons? If you can find that link soon that would be great, but if not I will probably just end up getting the ones from the link I posted. I really need to get going on finishing this project. It's been taking way too long! I need my 'maro back burnin' rubber again!

Blackz87 - I checked out their website but all i could get was a catalog with no prices. Do I have to call them to get the prices or am I just not looking in the right place?
Check for a dealer and then check the prices from them or give them a call.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 AM
3rd Gear Member

If you pistons are good and the clearances are ok you can use them, you could try to calculate the compression but you need the piston specs. With the heads you will be going with all new, you will need to check the pushrod length requirement prior to purchasing them chances are they will be different than stock if they are not correct the rocker will not ride on the valve stem properly causing wear problems and possibly reducing lift. I couldnt find the link I would tell you to compair across the board flow but I think the RHS heads are flowed on a differnt basis I will try to look into it tonight.