Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://camaroforums.com/forum/engine-internal-23/)
-   -   Decently Priced SBC Heads? (https://camaroforums.com/forum/engine-internal-23/decently-priced-sbc-heads-35752/)

ShiftyMcCan 02-18-2009 02:30 AM

Decently Priced SBC Heads?

My engine rebuild has been at a stand still because the heads that were on it before were cracked and badly repaired. I want to get my project back on track and my engine out of the shop but I want to know if any of you guys know where I can find decently priced cylinder heads. At my local junk yard its about $50 (not including warranty) per head which isnt bad, but its been raining every weekend here for a couple weeks and I know how much I have to take off to get to the engine heads, so I just havnt had the time or decent enough weather to be able to pull any. Can anyone give me links to something good, or maybe let me know if you have something that your looking to sell?

The engine I am rebuilding is a 350 SBC, 4 bolt main, 1 piece rear seal, 0.080 bored over cylinders with a throttle body injection setup. Thanks guys

GRIFF 02-18-2009 06:41 AM

Do you know what chamber size you need?

ShiftyMcCan 02-18-2009 08:13 PM

No. I imagine that any standard size will do. It also has a performance roller cam (Edelbrock 2204) in it. I dunno if that would make any difference in what chamber size I need, but it is what it is!

ShiftyMcCan 02-18-2009 08:31 PM

Oh! Sorry for spamming my own thread but I want heads with center bolts.

Camaro 69 02-18-2009 11:15 PM

I'm more curious how you got an .080 overbore in that 350? Usually .060 is pretty much max for keeping it in the "comfort zone". You must have gotten hold of a solid one.

GRIFF 02-19-2009 05:05 PM

The volume (cc) of the combustion chamber will help determine compression, to high of a compression will have you running high octane gas to low of compression will affect the power and how the car runs. You need to either get specific on the details od your engine so we can get a rough calculation or get the head # you took off and go with that size. Personnally I would go with the calculations. Need to know deck clearance, piston specifics, rod length and stroke(3.48 for a 350)

ShiftyMcCan 02-21-2009 12:54 AM

I pulled the engine from a junk yard and it happened to be 0.080 over. The guy at the machine shop said it looks fine to use but it was the first .080 over they have ever seen. As for engine specifics I cant get you anything cuz the engine is still at the shop. The heads that were on there had a casting of 14102193. My guess is thats what was on there before the previous rebuilder rebuilt the engine considering it had cracks that were repaired.

GRIFF 02-21-2009 08:05 AM

Those are TBI heads its not a bad thing that they cracked lol. The have a 58cc chamber. Do the pistons look flat on the top or are they dished?

ShiftyMcCan 02-21-2009 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whats wrong with TBI heads? I was planning on going TBI. Mainly because that is how my 305 that I have in my 'maro now is, plus I heard TPI systems can be a little restrictive on fuel/air flow for the larger cylinders (plus those setups are much more expensive). Anyway, Each piston has four dips on it I assume for piston clearance. I am attaching a picture of my engine so you can see.

Camaro 69 02-21-2009 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ShiftyMcCan (Post 292592)
Whats wrong with TBI heads?

The intake runners are restrictive with a stepped shelf, and no porting in the world is going to make them breathe well. They are considered a "swirl" design, made for good gas mileage and bottom end torque. Anything above 4,000 rpm, and the heads pretty much choke. If you're building a performance engine, these heads will hold you back in the higher rpm range.
Other than that, they're fine! ;)