Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Never Going to a Car Wash Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 12:08 PM
January 2008 ROTM
Default RE: Never Going to a Car Wash Again

ORIGINAL: 350rs

i know for a fact that the car wash i work at,, ( still...) uses water straight from the city. You could drink it if you wanted to, its the same stuff that goes into homes. But its still filtered twice, but then those nasty chemicals go all over the poor car. I know of one chemeical ( its called 699) that will burn your skin, eyes, mouth, and cause major damage if left on for to long. We had to clean the walls there once with something about half as acidic at that stuff, it splashed on my head ( had no hair at the time) and i didnt relize it. About 5 min later i had this extreme burning on the top of my head. I still have the scars under my hair.. Didnt sue ( as most of america would these days) but i wasnt happy.
WOW wonder how the place stays in buisness city water isnt cheap are sure about that.I used to have to clean the pit's and filter systems in the pits there was a return for the water Not the pit in the bldg the one outside that is usually huge in comparision.If you were to ask the manger providing that your not him that is, he may enlighten you perhaps

Old 08-14-2007, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah. Never use those automatic washes. I would raise hell with them but they likely have a sign that says they are not responsible Actually posting that sing does not release them of any damage. If you can show they had faulty equipment or malfuctioning equipment (and they obviously did) you can get on them pretty good. You could contat your state's attorney genral's office consumer affairs division. They may be able to help. I would keep on their butt.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:01 PM
March 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: MichiganMan

ORIGINAL: 350rs

i know for a fact that the car wash i work at,, ( still...) uses water straight from the city. You could drink it if you wanted to, its the same stuff that goes into homes. But its still filtered twice, but then those nasty chemicals go all over the poor car. I know of one chemeical ( its called 699) that will burn your skin, eyes, mouth, and cause major damage if left on for to long. We had to clean the walls there once with something about half as acidic at that stuff, it splashed on my head ( had no hair at the time) and i didnt relize it. About 5 min later i had this extreme burning on the top of my head. I still have the scars under my hair.. Didnt sue ( as most of america would these days) but i wasnt happy.
WOW wonder how the place stays in buisness city water isnt cheap are sure about that.I used to have to clean the pit's and filter systems in the pits there was a return for the water Not the pit in the bldg the one outside that is usually huge in comparision.If you were to ask the manger providing that your not him that is, he may enlighten you perhaps
na im not the manager, i would kill myself if i were.. but anyway. i had to help do some of the plumbing there not to long ago, and thats what i was told. Our pit has a drain. not sure where thats drain goes, but it leaves the building.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:06 AM
January 2008 ROTM

The outside pit's are set up to capture the particulate's (DIRT).The inside pit drains into this when it's gets to a certain level of fullness (usually indicated by the inside pit draining slowly)it is pumped out usually into a vac truck due to (EPA) safety standards. this pit could not possibly just drain out into the enviorment. not only is it considered pollution the drains would most certainly become plugged within a matter of hour's.our pits had 2 pipes in them one was for draining the inside pit the other wasa water return line which went to the filter and right back on to your car.Now you have been edumucated from a 6 yr veteran manager of a automatic carwash. hehe .p.s. Inever sceen a classic car enter our establishment while i worked there.mostly soccer moms & dads fleet vehicles state owned or the usual road warrior type cars

Old 08-18-2007, 05:42 PM
March 2008 ROTM

ive never seen the truck, but it makes since. maybe its gets filtered somehow or someway before it gets put into the system.. im not sure.

as far as classics.. we have a few. i think ive seen a grand total of about 5 come though in the 2 and a half years ive been there. one included a 55 belair. in great shape. Belongs to some old lady. Had the A/C that looks out of place even! one hell of a find if you wanted a good show car. Literally all it needs is a paint job cause its lost its luster over the years.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:00 PM

Well I am a manager of an automatic car wash and proud of it. Most top facilitys will use a damage free system such as the one we use. We also use only safe chemicals that any ordinary consumer would use on their vehicle. We are one of the top 50 car washes in USA. You can check us out at CarPool-llc.com my store is the 7123 Mechanicsville Tnpk. location. We wash everything from Hyuandai's to Vette's even a 1930 Ford an 1957 Chevy comes through our wash. And to be honest yes an automatic car wash with poorly maintained equpment can put scratches in paint but itis very rare. We however have cars that come once a week and the paint is still as great looking as the day they bought it. Our cloth in our wash spins but uses gravity for pressure as opposed to machine or hydraulic pressure so it only puts enough pressure on the vehicle to clean it. It is also a very very soft cloth that will not scracth unless something got caught in it. We check truck beds for nails, screws, debris, chemicals, paint, tar, etc just to ensure this doesn't affect any other vehicle. Please don't bash all car washes as ors is a very stand up wash and one of the best in good ole USA.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:55 PM
March 2008 ROTM

i try not to go into any washes with the spinning brushes. Ya just never know when something is gona get caught in the brushes and wreck your paint.