Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Clay Bar Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Clay Bar Kit?

ORIGINAL: Celticsfan

ORIGINAL: Matt99camaro

I used a clay bar on my car for the first time not to long ago. I used the Meguires that comes with the claybar and spray. It made a huge difference. The paint felt rough before and afterward it was smooth like glass. Even if that's not exactly what you need for the bumper it never hurts to use a clay bar on it every once in a while.
is there something that woukd work better?
I took a year of autobody like 5 years agobut I've forgotten alot of stuff. If it's under the clear coat a clay bar is not going to get it out. A clay bar is only going to remove surface imperfections. You said you think it's under the clear so some dust is probably under the clear. This is bad because the dust can hold moisture, eventually causing your paint to blister. Your first option is to rub out the finish with rubbing compound. If the dirt is deep in the finish, sand and then compound to restore the gloss.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I dont believe it happened when it got painteed, ill update when i wash it again probably tonight, its not really noticeable but any one else with a thirdgen, thats one of the dirties spots on my car top of the bumper, anyone else like this? thanks for the info.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Dominos Puck
New Formula! Now with 10% more Win!

I have this same problem. It's weird too. The only place I see it is on TOP of the back bumper. They're tiny little black spots (tar most likely, but it's a weird place). I used goo gone and a cotton wash cloth. Then waxed. No problem.

BTW, be wary of what you use on your car. Since it's so new, I would steer clear of waxes that mention too much about restoring a finish. You don't want to make an old crap car look better, you want your new shiny car to keep looking that way. It's confusing trying to figure out what all the different products out there really do. But I think you should keep away from polish waxes for the most part (polish = abrasive). These are used to repair paint problems and I don't think you really have a problem. Clay bars are slightly abrasive, but pretty harmless if used carefully. But if you have the same kind of black spots that i did, clay bar might not work. The bar didn't lift them out for me.

I use meguiars nxt generation tech wax. Looks good, but it's a little hard to buff off.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Puck90a

I have this same problem. It's weird too. The only place I see it is on TOP of the back bumper. They're tiny little black spots (tar most likely, but it's a weird place). I used goo gone and a cotton wash cloth. Then waxed. No problem.

BTW, be wary of what you use on your car. Since it's so new, I would steer clear of waxes that mention too much about restoring a finish. You don't want to make an old crap car look better, you want your new shiny car to keep looking that way. It's confusing trying to figure out what all the different products out there really do. But I think you should keep away from polish waxes for the most part (polish = abrasive). These are used to repair paint problems and I don't think you really have a problem. Clay bars are slightly abrasive, but pretty harmless if used carefully. But if you have the same kind of black spots that i did, clay bar might not work. The bar didn't lift them out for me.

I use meguiars nxt generation tech wax. Looks good, but it's a little hard to buff off.
Ya i love newer paint, like right now it could use a good wash but from 5 ft away still looks shiny as hell, yeah ill ask someone at the store about the waxes, i would hope they know what there talking about...