Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Repeating Fuel pump failure??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Default Repeating Fuel pump failure??

I replaced the in-tank fuel pump in my 02 Z28 in February of this year when the car simply would NOT start one day. It would turn over and turn over until the battery died but to no avail (no I didnt crank it that long, I have burned out injectors on a 85 merc cougar 302 like that and wasnt sure if dry injectors would still try to spray and melt like that car did). I had it towed to my repair shop since I no longer have all my tools or garage like back home and $1,389 later I had a new fuel pump. I rarely drive my car as I am out of town most of the time (possibly 500miles since new pump) and it is doing the same thing. All crank no fire, no preassure and no fuel coming out at check point on fuel rail with key on or cranking.

The pump and labor is still within it 12 month warranty, but is there possibly a problem in the car burning them out or more likely just a faulty pump?

Backstory:

Car has some sort of electrical drain that will make the battery go dead and need to be jumped off if not driven for more than a week-10days. Red led light to the left side of steering column on dash stays on constantly, and I do not have the remote for this car so not sure if thats alarm or not. There are 2 seperate black boxes under dash labeled something to the effect of "remote start" and im not sure if theyre aftermarket or stock but I found them trying to locate the blinker relay. All lights and gauges work normally except right front blinker bulb and marker light seems to burn out a lot.

Any ideas, views?

Old 07-22-2009, 02:20 AM

I have heard that a sitting car will kill an electric pump quick. Any sludge or particles settle to the bottom of the tank, clog up, or destroy the pump... If you go months with out have someone starting it, maybe thats it...You can take a multimeter set on amps to find you dead draw.. Disconnect you positive terminal, hook one lead to it, and the other to the battery.. Due not reconnect the battery, turn key on, and everything else off... Notice if you have any amperage...Remove each fuse until you find the circuit..

Old 07-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

When the original pump went, it could have just been it's time. The second one could be defective, a cheap brand, or something else is causing a strain or damage.
There is a super fine strainer sock on the bottom (inlet) of the fuel pump sending unit assembly to prevent any crud from entering the pump and ruining it. The strainer is always picking the gas up from the bottom of the tank. And if there was any sediment or crap floating around with the gas, it will settle back to the bottom in a matter of minutes, not weeks. You could have a lot of crap in the tank which could be restricting the pumps intake, but it would have to be a lot. Your fuel filter could be clogging and restricting gas flow. Or if the old strainer sock was used when the new pump was installed, it could have a hole in it letting crud get through to the pump. Things causing a flow restriction can burn out the pump motor. Also, try to stay in the habit of not letting your tank run below a 1/4 tank. Gas has a cooling effect on the pump motor and keeping it more submerged will lengthen it's life.
When the pump is replaced, be sure:
A new strainer is installed on the pump.
The tank gets flushed out and is completely clean inside.
The fuel filter was replaced.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:50 AM
Default Fuel Pump

Sorry I completly left out the filter and sock... And another good point never run it below a 1/4 tank.......

Old 07-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Most lilely it is a defective pump. The only times I have seen cars damage a fuel pump was when the baffles came loose in the tank and they where hitting the fuel pump ( I can't remember seeing that in a F body). And if the ground connection for the pump has a high resistance. This raisied the amps going thru the pump and it can burn them out. Tank should have been inspected for sludge and rust when the first pump was replaced.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:53 AM

Yeah probably the pump was going bad already.. The fuel pump assembly must be checked and needs to be replaced.

Last edited by michaelross; 11-16-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 PM
2nd Gear member

ask what brand of pump they go. I work for CARQUEST and we can get delphi, bosch, and airtex. Most of the time i tell people not to waste time with the airtex cause about 1 in 7 go bad withing 6 months. And people wonder why one can be 450 and then the airtex version is on 200.