93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Possible fuel pump failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Default Possible fuel pump failure

Hey everybody! I've read a few topics on this subject and am fairly sure I have fried my fuel pump, but I figured it makes sense to try a couple smaller fixes before I drop the money on a new one. Here's the story, and oh yeah, '95 3.8L V6, AT.

Couple days ago I noticed a slight bit of hesitation in the morning. I chalked it up to it being cold, although I'd never had this happen before. The car runs magnificently. Got to work, car sat for a few hours, then it was off to lunch. As I took off down the street, same thing, a little hesitation. Didn't think much of it. Drove a few miles to the bank, went in and took care of my business, and when I came out, the car started, sputtered for a few seconds, then died. Repeated starts produced the same result. At this point I realized I was low on gas, so I figured this was my problem. I was able to drive it 500ft. or so to the gas station nearby, but it was sputtering the whole time and I couldn't go faster than 5mph or so. Made it to the pump though with the engine still running poorly like this. Filled the tank. No change. It started/sputtered a few times like it was, now it will only turn over. I don't hear the fuel pump making any noise when I key up.

So...first thing I'm gonna do is change the fuel filter, and after reading these forums, I won't let my tank go below 1/4 anymore. I'm thinking that the sputtering was caused by blockage somewhere (most likely the filter), and that by continuing to run it in that condition, I probably killed the fuel pump. My question is, after changing the filter, is there anything else I can look at, like a relay or fuse somewhere, that could have possibly failed, or is it most likely the pump is bad. Mechanic says it will be around a $700 job. I'd likely do it myself, but I don't think I want to go the access panel route, and I'd really rather not deal with siphoning the full tank, dropping it, etc. Any help is appreciated!

Old 12-21-2007, 08:07 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Possible fuel pump failure

check/wiggle the fuel pump relay (fuse box)

if it is the fuel pump....... search trap door, theres a very easy way to replace the pump w/o dropping the tank. if you want to do it the regular way you have to remove the exaust system and rear axel.......

Old 12-21-2007, 10:47 AM

I've read up on the access panel job...I'm a little leery. Seems easy enough, but I'm a little worried about cutting into the body and screwing something up, plus the whole sparks near the gas tank thing. It would be nice to save $500 though. I'm still on the fence.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:52 PM

Hi again...replaced the fuel filter, and I did get some pressure in the system because after turning it over a few times, it sounded like it might start, then I depressed the schroeder valve and gas came out. Now it's doing the same thing, just turning over without starting. My question is, where exactly is the fuel pump relay? In my engine compartment fuse/relay box, there isn't one labeled fuel pump...is it elsewhere?

Old 12-22-2007, 05:16 PM

Well hot damn I got 'er started...momentarily anyway. My mechanic had told me at first to pound on the fuel tank while cranking to see if that would get it started. It didn't when it first broke down. This time, I had my buddy hit the trunk right above where the pump is, and it finally started up. It only runs for 5-10 seconds though before sputtering out and dying. So not sure what to do from here except take it to my mechanic and have him diagnose. Unless of course you fine folks have any other suggestions!

Old 04-24-2009, 01:39 AM

i had my fuel pump go out a year ago. i id it myself and just like bluovlh8er said, i had to take out basicly the whole rear end it was a bear. my car did the same things your describing. another thing to look at is the cat. about 6 months after i replaced the fuel pump it did the same thing with the same signs. i diddnt find out that it was a clogged cat until i replaced the fuel pump for a second time and started her up and flames shot out of the egr valve. so if you can get the cat off and then try to start it you might be able to avoid making my mistake.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:40 AM

and it was a clogged cat by the way