93-02 Wheels, Tires and Exterior

This is what happens when you swerve 2 dogs when the roads are slick and doing 50+

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreenMamba
Sorry about your ride man. I know it was a moment of panic, and you didnt have time to react, but with fear of sounding heartless just hitting the dog would have been way better. My old girlfriend flipped her car trying to miss a rabbit. She was in the hospital almost a week, over a rabbit. I hate to be "that guy" but is a dogs life worth more than you or your brothers? Luckily, neither of yall were hurt, and hopefully the car isnt totaled.
I wouldn't worry about being "that guy." You've had an experience that has taught you a different lesson. It doesn't make you heartless or less moral than someone else, either.

Originally Posted by Kipp88
Literally, about a mile down the road I was saying I should've just mowed them both over. Then at least it would've been a front bumper only. I wasn't thinking and just reacted and swerved them, which was an obvious mistake. I'm hoping the frame isn't bent, but that quarter panel slammed pretty hard.
And as far as being "that guy," I wouldn't sweat it too much. You did what you thought was right. Ultimately, you and your brother are both safe and your car took the brunt of the pain. It's just metal. I love my Camaro and my Solstice but I'd still react the same as you did 10 outta 10 times. It's natural to value life of any kind. I mauled a squirrel once and still think about it!

Old 12-21-2012, 07:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by flowride
I wouldn't worry about being "that guy." You've had an experience that has taught you a different lesson. It doesn't make you heartless or less moral than someone else, either.

And as far as being "that guy," I wouldn't sweat it too much. You did what you thought was right. Ultimately, you and your brother are both safe and your car took the brunt of the pain. It's just metal. I love my Camaro and my Solstice but I'd still react the same as you did 10 outta 10 times. It's natural to value life of any kind. I mauled a squirrel once and still think about it!
wise words my friend.

it really is just metal, but i love that big hunk of mangled metal lol. i feel hopeless when i stare out at the driveway at it. i managed to straighten up the front bumper a bit, straighten out the hood. the front end wont really need that much work. its that quarter panel im worried about, so...would someone help me with ideas on how i could replace that?

Old 12-22-2012, 04:17 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your best bet is to search a salvage yard for a good condition quarter panel.. Here are the procedures on removing the old one.. I picked this up from another thread on here lol. Better thank Camaro69 for this.

And I quote

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Plasma torch? Why not just a sledge hammer and chisel?
OK, for a serious answer, it sounds like you're wanting to do a panel replacement? You need to find the spot welds at the rolled lip of the fender where it overlaps the main body. You'll see small indentations where the factory welds are. Drill out each spot weld everywhere it's attached to the body. Then you can peel it off. They make handy drill bits made special for drilling spot welds. It has a smaller pilot drill tip and above that has a larger diameter cutting edge so you only drill a large hole in the fender (providing you stop when you cut through the top panel).

Old 12-22-2012, 04:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i got to really looking around at the damage, and i think its a lost cause. the rear hatch doesnt really line up with the bumper. the whole front end looks shifted to the left (when looking at it from the front. idk if its because the panels just need realigned or what. do you guys even think its worth doing?

Old 12-22-2012, 04:48 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thats what i was looking at, looks like the unibody is tweaked both front and back. well,,, as long as its drivable then you still have transportation.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
thats what i was looking at, looks like the unibody is tweaked both front and back. well,,, as long as its drivable then you still have transportation.
its heartbreaking but it looks like the only thing to do here, is save some money up. sell mine and buy another one.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:04 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

They're all the same. Just take any mods off of yours and save them for the next one.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

Sorry about your car man.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The front isn't so bad, and is easier to fix than the back. The way the hatch is jacked up, and the mis-fit of the tail light, means the inner structure beneath the quarter panel is tweaked in. You would need to remove the rear bumper cover, tail panel, and tail light to investigate. But, chances are good that you'd need to remove the quarter panel to be able to do some hammering, pulling and straightening to the inner structure. If you have to pay to get that done, it ain't gonna be cheap. If you've always wanted to learn how to do extensive body work, you have your subject.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Glad to hear you and your brother are alright. I have been lucky myself and never hit anything, however, I had a deer actually hit the right front side of my car... pushed in the fender a little bit and came up and over my hood... scratched it up a little. Not more than a month later on my way to work at 6am I had a wolf, yes, a wolf... not a dog, not a coyote hit the exact same spot on my passenger side. The passenger side didn't fare as well. I will need to replace the fender, the turn signal assembly, the front bumper cover, driving light, and possibly the hood. Anyway, enough of my story, I am glad to hear the damage wasn't worse and that the two of you are ok.

Quick Reply: This is what happens when you swerve 2 dogs when the roads are slick and doing 50+