93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

v6 to ls1 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The LS1's are in such high demands If the car has low miles and totaled it still going for decent money. In some cases a wrecked LS1 is worth more then a great looking driver with a knock in the motor.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
The LS1's are in such high demands If the car has low miles and totaled it still going for decent money. In some cases a wrecked LS1 is worth more then a great looking driver with a knock in the motor.
Thats the truth!! I found one in pittsburgh that was rear ended by a ram. guy said he was hit so hard that the rear wheels moved about foot forward. Completely totaled and i might be picking it up tomorrow for a massive $900. This all depends on how many miles are on the motor and if he up-kept it though. Hopefully it has less then 150k on the motor.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You realize there is about 99.9% chance the the transmission is trashed and about a 25% chance the motor is shot because of rear hit that hard ? The drive shaft becomes a spear and trashes the tranny pretty quick but the stress can carry through the tranny case and crack the block. The engine might even start but when you unbolt the tranny things start falling a part. Talk to any junk yard and ask them about cars hit rear hard in the back. They do not pay much for those. Which is most likely why it is so cheap.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
You realize there is about 99.9% chance the the transmission is trashed and about a 25% chance the motor is shot because of rear hit that hard ? The drive shaft becomes a spear and trashes the tranny pretty quick but the stress can carry through the tranny case and crack the block. The engine might even start but when you unbolt the tranny things start falling a part. Talk to any junk yard and ask them about cars hit rear hard in the back. They do not pay much for those. Which is most likely why it is so cheap.

Yeah, I went and checked it out friday after work. As I pulled up, first thing I saw that made me shake my head and almost turn around was the hood overlapping the nose. In my lifetime whenever I see something like that, it means the motor is fubar and worthless to me. Gave it a look around, shook his hand pulled out a wad of 20's, pulled a single 20 and offered it to him. Declined. I knew that was going to happen, pissed him off and offended him. i also knew was going to happen. Which was my plan when i seen it. Just seeing it offended me. Pissed me off and made me want to just punch him in the face. Thats an hour, one way, of constant *****ing from the old lady that I had to deal with. Add in the hour back of even MORE *****ing throwing in the whole "You're stupid for doing this" crap. Hell, I'll just break down and buy one off someone for a few thousand and color match it. Should of just done that to begin with.

Finding a good one for a good price is like finding a needle in the haystack. Only you can't just catch the haystack on fire to find the needle. But so far craigslist seems to still be the place to look. Junkyards round here don't got squat so instead of searching, maybe i'll use a little reverse engineering and place an ad. Let them come to me. Patience young jedi, patience.

Last edited by Senshi09; 12-26-2011 at 06:25 PM.