93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

stupid shop...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 06:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Angry stupid shop...

ive been struggling to fix my 3.4l camaro that has a lack of power and shakes and sputters cruising under 1.5k so today i took my car into the shop, i hated to do it but throwing parts at it wasnt working that well and i didnt have a obd1 scanner to pull my cel. so i took it to my local calverts express who my parents take their cars to and are very satisfied with. they wanted 69.99 to diagnose my problem and i decided that wasnt bad. a few hours later they call me and the shop manager goes well you have alot of problems... so i told him to list them, he goes well you dont have a maf plugged in.. so i kindly corected him to let him know it runs of manifold absilute pressure and he just kinda stuttered for a min and tried to tell me my car was actually a 96 and that their scanner wouldnt work on my car. so again i corrected him and said no its a 95 and its an obd1 comp with obd2 port.. and he goes oh... well you also have a lose egr and a sensor on the bottom of the motor only has 1 wire and it should have 2. so i asked what sensor it was, and he replied... i dont know. than told me i had several vaccume leaks on the back of the motor but he couldnt tell me where from...so i quickly picked up my car and brought it home, super mad. in the last month ive put
new thermostat
new plugs
new wires
new coils
new fuel filter
air filter
both engine temp sensors
seafoamed and fuel injector cleaners
and still the car dosent run right..
this is just my post to vent about stupid mechanics and the stressful life of owning a camaro. so if anyone has ideas id love to hear them.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

WELL... looks like I found your problem already. You took it to your parents shop. You NEVER take a vehicle to your parents shop. Your other problem is... you paid them. Did you get your money back? From what you say, they sure as hell don't know wtf they are talking about.

Secondly, have you tried to figure out why your cel light is on? Doing the whole stick the wire in the port with the scanner to find out what it might possibly be? When you changed all those coils, plugs and wires did you use oem specfic or off brand? It might seem crazy but sometimes the wrong brand will screw somethings up. And the shop manager might of been onto something there telling you that you had vac leaks. That does sound a lot more plausible then just throwing parts at it and getting frustrated.

Have you replaced, or do you know of, your intake/head gaskets being good/replaced recently. Air getting under the intake could cause some stuttering and possible power loss. Gaskets can be brand new but if the seal isn't there, then you're still going to have some problems. You got coils so there shouldn't be a distributor, did you use any sort of dielectric grease on the coils when you put them in? Moisture could of gotten to the coils somehow, someway, and is pretty much just sitting there messing with them.

PCV Hose, air flow, fuel pressure, fpr, did you check any of these? Also when did the problem begin occurring? Was it after you filled up or before? it could be something as simple as crappy gas. But think back to when it first started happening. Then think hard to figure out if you put gas in it or not before it started doing this. Might seem like I'm going in the wrong direction, but like I said, it could just be crappy gas.

Last edited by Senshi09; 12-26-2011 at 06:58 PM.