stupid TBI...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:13 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default stupid TBI...

so im junking out this damn TBI unit. Im going carb. its gona do nothing but sit untill september anyway so ill have plenty of time to get things sorted out. As far as i know, all i need is the carb, intake, and new distributor. Im gona go with a edelbrock 650 electric choke 4bbl carb, prolly a performer intake, but i havent decided on what distributor to go with. any suggestions? Also thinking about going to VorteX heads, but i think the vorteC heads i have now are better. Im gona find out some more info on them later. But once this is all done, i can scrap the comuter ive been told. what about all those damn sensors? can i get rid of most of them? im running after market electric gauges, so ill need them obviously. What about my fan? is it still gona kick on? or will i need to install a switch for it? this is going to be a 4 or 5 month long project so im in no HUGE rush, but i do want the info sooner than later. I have to stay EGR for emissions reasons. I wont be scanned anymore come september, but asafety inspection is still going to be done and needs all the emissions crap there forever. lemme know, i might just be stuck with TBI... i really hope not. i guess if nothing else i can always go TPI... which brings up another question. TPI or the setup i just talked about?

Old 05-23-2007, 03:25 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default RE: stupid TBI...

not exactly what i was lookin for but it will do...

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...52435_-1_10271carb obviously

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...50760_-1_11937intake manifold

just a thought, we have a similar setup on our 68 truck and it works great.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I would suggest going carburated because you can create a lot more power with a carburator than with fuel injection (yes yes i know thats an opinion everyone tells me) Just wanna let youknow that that intake manifold has no egr setup so your not going to pass emissions. Edelbrock's regular performer manifold has an egr version but the eps version does not. I am using that manifold because i dont really care if it passes emissions, i have freinds at gas stations. :-)

Old 05-24-2007, 01:14 PM
March 2008 ROTM

yea i have to get the EGR,i didnt notice it didnt have one, did the whole search in a hurry. Well see. Id really like to buy a truck or something as a daily driver before i do a bunch of mods on this thing.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

TPI swap is a huge PITA, go carb, thats what im going wiht

Old 05-24-2007, 07:57 PM
March 2008 ROTM

but the way im seeing it, if my car is going to be down for a few months anyway, its not a big deal. I dunno, ill prolly go carb, less stuff to worry about, if somethings wrong, it can only be a few things, not MILLIONS of sensors to go bad and what not. lol. plus, IMO, it looks better with a carb. thats how muscle cars are supposed to be.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey 350rs, If your gonna dump your puter, then HEI Distributor is out, you can pick up and old dual point dist, with the vacuum advance, they work great especially with a set of advanced curve weights, then you might want to consider manual oil/temp gauges! i trust them more anyway, you know the old saying go directly to the (horses) mouth, good luck Tom! she will be a fire breathing,import eating DRAGON when your done. Dhighway

Old 05-27-2007, 12:29 PM
March 2008 ROTM

already a fire breathin import eatin dragon. im lookin for more of a corvette eatin monster type of thing though! i already do alright against them, better than one would think. bout a car length behind at 75 or 80. then its over.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

fuel injection is much better than Carbed nowadays. Carbed setups are generally used by those who can't keep up with technology. With Fuel injection, you can tweak many settings, all from the convience of a computer (although it's not a flip a switch type of deal). It'd perform much better than a carb if you know what you're doing.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:38 PM
March 2008 ROTM

have any of you used the thunder series carbs? or know of somebody who has?

Quick Reply: stupid TBI...