93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

thumping noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default thumping noise

Hi guys I am fairly new here and this is my first ever Camaro. Its a silver 97 runs great all except recently it's started with a thumping sorta noise. I dont have a sound clip but it sounds like the exhaust hitting the body type of thumping. The thing is it's not really noticible until about 55 - 60 mph. It sounds like its coming from the pedals area , only on the outside naturally. I took it to have the exhaust checked to see if it was loose was told it was fine the suspension was good and tight . But there was something the guy called a " frame rail bushing " that he said was a bit loose/ worn.
My questions are this ...
First is there such a thing ?
Secondly would this possibly be causeing a noise only at 55 - 60 mph?
Should I be looking else where say like maybe the top of the strut tower?
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I forgot to add the car shifts smooth and all that only problem is this thumping coming from the front

Old 01-03-2010, 05:57 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

were do u feel the thump at? steering wheel, shifter, seat of pants, brake or clutch peddle. what shape are the tires in?

Old 01-03-2010, 05:58 AM

Yeah there is such thing, and that could possibly be the problem. It cant hurt to get it replaced and if only one of them is worn that could cause the thumping when the suspension goes down the frame hits the body. I would get it replaced

Old 01-03-2010, 01:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
were do u feel the thump at? steering wheel, shifter, seat of pants, brake or clutch peddle. what shape are the tires in?
Its not so much feeling as just hearing it , but it does sound like its coming from the area of the peddles. The tires are in good shape looks like they were replaced not long before I got it. I just wasnt sure if there was such a thing or not or if it could cause this noise.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by zstalls
Yeah there is such thing, and that could possibly be the problem. It cant hurt to get it replaced and if only one of them is worn that could cause the thumping when the suspension goes down the frame hits the body. I would get it replaced
Thanks ! IF this isnt it I guess next would be to check the top of the strut tower huh?

Old 01-27-2010, 05:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

:::: UPDATE ::::

Okay so its been 24 days since my last post . I just thought I would pass along what the problem was and how it was resolved. Yes I am happy to say this mysterious thumping noise has been erradicated!!! The noise was coming from the drivers side front , I was told the frame rail bushing was worn thus the car was raising and lowering against the frame causing the noise. I pointed out to the technican that first the car is a unibody car so it does not exactly have a full on frame . Then secondly with the shape and design of the camaro's it wouldnt raise the faster the car went , it would instead lower. After I shared aerodynamics/ common sense 101 the frame rail bushing became a A-Frame bushing . This was way more plausable.

I kept checking around trying to get another shop to confirm what the issue was , each in turn just kept finding stuff that it may be . But nothing definate. I was out on a drive when I happened across a small local garage ran by a pair of brothers. I stopped in explained what it was doing and was told to bring it back today . I picked up my Camaro the thumping is gone !! The a frame bushing is slightly worn ( the car is a 97 ) but nothing major or enough to cause a problem . The cause of it all was the front tires were not balanced . There was no wieghts on either tire . The drivers side was out he said like 2.47 the passengers was a 3 something. How three other garages with probably a half dozen " mechanics " were under the car and never noticed this I have no clue.Before its said I have no way to raise it to get under the car myself.But the problem was all in the tires not being balanced.