93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Suspension problem but dont know what or where

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Default Suspension problem but dont know what or where

Hey guys, I have a 2001 Camaro and about 152K miles on it. It still has the same OEM suspension it and it is in need of a change. So here is a problem, there is a bad bushing or something in the front I can not figure out. Every time the car would be driven on bad/uneven/pothole like roads, the front end feels like it bottomed out but with more repetition. It just feels like it slamming against metal to metal. It happens more at moderate to low speed because there is more time for it travel as too driving fast it doesnt happen much since the travel is short...

Can anyone chime in on this? Understand from experience or knowledge what it could be and what I need to change?

For the shocks and struts, this car is not used for any performance needs. Just driven daily for normal stuff... What is a good setup and affordable that will do the job but hold and last?

Is there any other type of suspension I should look at to replace while I am down there working so I wouldnt have to go back to it.

Thanks guys!

Old 10-23-2009, 08:12 AM
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a bad strut or one of the dampening pads on the top where the strut spring goes is gone. Also, look at the bump stops on the rear to see if they are in good condition. Are the bolts on the mounting towers under the hood tight?

Old 10-23-2009, 10:23 AM
1st Gear Member

just hit up a local parts store and get the oem replacement struts

Old 10-25-2009, 10:05 AM

I took a ride in the car and tried to figure if i was but here is the situation I understand with suspension.

For a strut to go bad and bottom out, I would have to travel its full capacity and then like running over a pothole, you would slam and making that cringing feeling.

Well, this not the case yet with the car right now. It feels like something is loose/worn out/broken up from when there is uneven/broken road the car travels over. This point, the strut has only travel a consistant short distance and no where near is full travel.

Does anyone kinda understand WTH I am talking about? Haha, sometimes I dont... The noise is irritating.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:17 PM

osduck5 - I will double check if it is tight or not.

What do you guys recommend from experience with shocks? I do not want to get Monroe, Gabriel as it seems very cheap and wont last as long as other brands.

I was leaning toward Koni (expensive from all the prices I search up), Bilstein (Great product for years and hold up quite a while), and Edelbrock (The IAS makes me giggle with excitement from what I read).

If others could give me input, would be great.

Note: Whats the best place you guys shop for this stuff? Summit is typical but its not really that cheap.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:24 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

give sam a call here and he will set up. i have the koni double adjustables on mine and am happy. have u checked the ball joints. u can get a double bang from them also.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partsmain.php