93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

help plz car starts but then shuts off after a few seconds

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Question help plz car starts but then shuts off after a few seconds

i have a 94 chevy camaro 3.4 v6 i have recently replaced the fuel pump cleaned the fuel injectors cleaned out the pipes and cleaned and sprayed every thing with brake cleaner i know the fuel pump qorks because i hear it running and i have also replaced the fuel filter. Know when I go to crank it it will start but then shut off after a few seconds now tonight im going to check the fuel pressure but if thats not the problem does any one know what it could be?

Old 07-20-2011, 02:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My first guess would be your vats system either a bad resistor in the key or a bad key switch. Is your security light staying on? That would be a good indicator that vats is malfunctioning in some way. If this is the case it is easy to bypass by putting a resistor in place of the key sensor in the ignition key switch. There are several threads around detailing how to do this. Also have you checked for trouble codes?

Old 07-20-2011, 02:51 PM

no the security light shuts off but like i said it only runs for a few seconds and no i have not checked for trouble codes yet im on a budget cuz of low income but i have checked the fuses and the wiring the only things i have not done was check to see if the fuel injectors are working properly and i have not checked for trouble codes yet either any idea of how to check them fairly cheap?

Old 07-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Tech Droid

Your car is OBDI so it is going to be a little hard to find a free scan, as most parts stores that offer free scans do not have the equipment to handle OBDI. Best bet is to find someone that has a OBDI scanner and cables for GM cars. You cannot flash codes on 94e and up cars, and the cheapo $ 30 code flasher boxes do not work on these cars. You need to find out what is causing the engine to stop, in your case there are only two things, no fuel or no spark.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Lol holy quad post batman...back on topic. If you call around you can usually find shops that aren't out to rape you on scan prices just due to the fact that it may be what earns them your business to repair the problem. Where I live there are 2 reputable shops that only charge $5 to scan anything they have the equipment for. Call around you may be surprised what you can get for a few bucks.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:46 PM

thank you all for your help and im guessing thats my best bet at this point is to bring it into a shop my last resort but i guess i got to and it does have a spark and thats why im so confused is cuz i did every thing i can think of to fix the fuel the only thing i have not had time to get checked is the injectors

Old 07-20-2011, 05:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yea you are obviously getting spark if it is running for a few seconds. If not vats then I would definitely lean toward fuel issues. Possibly injectors but I would say there is more of a chance of it being fuel pressure related. Did you replace the original fuel lines inside the tank? If you replaced the lines when you replaced the pump and you didn't get them zip tied correctly they can get in the way of your sending unit causing you to think you have much more gas than you do. I had that problem with my car when I first bought it and realized that was the problem when troubleshooting. Caused me to burn out the pump that the previous owner had installed. Also if you are getting low pressure at the fuel rail, check also at the filter to see if there is a pressure difference. Could be a bad regulator.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:27 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i moved your thread to the 4th gen v6 section. please read the rules when you have time. could be a number of things. having it scanned can save money over throwing parts at it. welcome to the forum, enjoy.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 AM
March 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club

i have a similar issue and im about to change the regulator to see if it helps me. i got an extra fuel rail with the car so it will save me some extra money. ill let ya know if it works