93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Gear Swap, Does it hurt my gas mileage? and is it just plain worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Gear Swap, Does it hurt my gas mileage? and is it just plain worth it?

Hey everyone, just a simple question needing an answer, I'm looking to change the gears in 1998 v6. My brother and his friend who are mechanics say it's not worth it and in comparison to it killing my gas mileage for not that huge of a difference. But I have read people on here saying they changed their gears and it didn't effect it all to badly. so, Did anyone notice a big drop in gas mileage after changing them? and also, how much of a difference did you see out of changing the gears? is it worth it?

Old 12-31-2010, 02:14 AM
Overdrive Member

The main question is how much are you going to change it? The stock for your car was 3.08 which is a good cruising gear. If you want to shoot out of the hole faster and get a little better time in the 1320 then you need to get somewhere in the 4.xx range to notice a performance and mileage change. Yes with an extreme change you will notice a drop in mileage. Remember that you will NEED to have your computer adjusted to the new gear ratio. This may be why you were advised that it is not worth the effort. The computer knowing the ratio is important with the trans shifting, ABS, and speedo readings. It can also play into your fuel mapping and cause driveability issues like DarlingReject discovered with her car.

Massey

Old 12-31-2010, 07:44 PM
H2C
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Massey
The main question is how much are you going to change it? The stock for your car was 3.08 which is a good cruising gear. If you want to shoot out of the hole faster and get a little better time in the 1320 then you need to get somewhere in the 4.xx range to notice a performance and mileage change. Yes with an extreme change you will notice a drop in mileage. Remember that you will NEED to have your computer adjusted to the new gear ratio. This may be why you were advised that it is not worth the effort. The computer knowing the ratio is important with the trans shifting, ABS, and speedo readings. It can also play into your fuel mapping and cause driveability issues like DarlingReject discovered with her car.

Massey
Caught my attention here, what kind of issues are we talking

Old 12-31-2010, 08:36 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

drew, what trany do you have?

Old 12-31-2010, 10:51 PM
Overdrive Member

DR was having problems with her car not running as well as it did with the factory settings and also the shift points were not where they should have been. Your computer gets its speed readings from the trans speed sensor tell the computer how fast the car is going. This plays into fuel mapping (by comparing data from the MAP and MAF for engine load) shift points (again with engine load data) ABS sensor comparison to vehicle speed) Airbag deployment data (on some systems I am not sure about the Camaros of our years). All these and prolly more are reliant on semi accurate data from the speed sensor. a MPH here or there is not going to matter much but 10 MPH or so will matter alot.

Massey