93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Difficulty installing new driveshaft help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:19 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by omr
Glad it all worked out, looks like gorn was right on the ball.
He absolutely was! I failed to mention the new Accel 17lb injectors and the new braking sytem I installed; all the way down to the new power brake booster. I solved the rotor warpage/ overheating problem with new cross-drilled and slotted rotors along with ceramic brake pads. Yeah they probably won't last very long.......but at least the rotors will be straight for a long long time. Good news for those who like Wilwood calipers. Wilwood developed an aluminum dual piston caliper that mounts right onto the chevy factory mount. The aluminum will dissiminate heat much more proficiently than the stock d-52 iron claliper, and the dual piston will make it stronger. Production of that caliper was to begin in March of 2010, so I can only assume that production went along as scheduled. I'll be contacting Wilwood shortly to purchase a pair.

The biggest thing I have learned about this 3.4L v6 is that there are a hundred different little simple things that degrade on it, and seemingly all at the same time. I think it may have been designed that way. I dunno..........that's just mere speculation. However, when the vacuum sytem, egr/smog system, and fuel system are tight.........this baby has quite a skip in it's step. I'll be adding the Amsoil ATF fluid to the tranny at around 3:00pm EST. That would have been just a little over 24 hrs, because it's a little chilly here. (had to let the black silicone bond and cure) I can't wait to crank it with the new driveshaft, pinion propeller, and fully serviced drivetrain! This baby ought to scoot!

The next big thing is to rebuild the rear end........I'm going to need a ton of suggestions on this one y'all. I have no knowledge of proper gear ratios, and their purposes. So lay it on me! LOL

Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am Glad everything worked out. For us budget minded people the 98 up Camaro came with an Aluminum duel piston caliper and a larger rotor. Swapping in that system can be done on the cheap. Also the rear disks on the 98 up are upgraded also.

For the rear think about a low miles newer 2000-2002 posi rear. If you get it from a manual trans car it will be a 3.42 and it will come with the upgraded brake system and can be found for less than $500. Rebuilding and upgrading a rear can be very costly. The process of setting up a rear is very unforgiving. The first time you set one up you really should have an experienced mechanic looking over your shoulder.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:04 PM
2nd Gear member

Something the OP wrote caught my eye... Where exactly was the EGR system on your car clogged?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1augapfel
Something the OP wrote caught my eye... Where exactly was the EGR system on your car clogged?
The corrigated metal tube that runs into the upper intake air plenum has a tendency to allow carbon flakes into the channel underneath the front of the upper intake plenum....the entire channel was either restricted or clogged. You will notice a plug underneath the front of the plenum just behind the throttle body. Open that plug with a special bit, and snake that channel clean. I also recommend knocking all the carbon out of that corrigated pipe. EGR system open, and check engine light went away. Don't forget to check your smog pump to see if it is bad as well. I did a complete vacuum system and sensor rebuild that changed the dynamics of the engine drastically. If you're on a budget, snake the channel out.