93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Difficulty installing new driveshaft help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Difficulty installing new driveshaft help please

It's a 94 3.4L with a T-5 tranny, and I've replaced the output seal and the bushing inside the extension housing, as well as the rubber transmission mount. I went ahead and ordered a new one-piece driveshaft from Shaftmasters out of Michigan. As I went to install the new shaft, it would only slide in as far as the new bushing. Any ideas as to how I'm going to get the new yoke to slide the rest of the way? I really need someones advice on this one. I've done several thousands of dollars of work on this Camaro myself. At this point in the venture, it would be a shame to have to tow it to a tranny shop just to have the new shaft installed. Thanks for any and all help in advance!

Old 12-18-2011, 08:58 AM
omr
In the Staging Lanes

Did you test fit the bushing to make sure it fit over the yoke ?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Nope..that's where I messed up.......I slipped a dude at a tranny shop a few bucks to have that bushing installed. I didn't think to check the new Timken bushing. It was a few days later when I ordered the new driveshaft. During the wait time I completely reassembled the tranny and mounting system with the new main mount. I'm I completely toast or do you think heating the extension with a propane torch will help?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Does your old slip yoke slip past the new bushing? You need to find out which is the culprit; narrower bushing opening, or new slip yoke is too big around.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:24 AM
omr
In the Staging Lanes

Do not take a torch to your transmission.
Isnt it just 4 bolts to take the cone off the tranny ?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Excellent question......I tested the old slip yoke and got the same results yesterday.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:26 AM
omr
In the Staging Lanes

Ahhhh never mind,I just reread that it was a t-5

Old 12-18-2011, 09:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Do you think heating the outside if the extension housing might expand that bushing enough to allow it to slide clear, or should I just plan on breaking the new seals and tear it down again, then score the bushing a little?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:39 AM
omr
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by richard.nelson100
Do you think heating the outside if the extension housing might expand that bushing enough to allow it to slide clear, or should I just plan on breaking the new seals and tear it down again, then score the bushing a little?
Do not take a torch to your transmission.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your going have to tear it down and get a new bushing. The driveshft yoke does not just need to be in the bushing it needs to have clearance. If you heated it up and slipped it in when you drove it the first mile the bushing would be ripped apart.

It could be during the pressing operation the tech did not protect the bushing enough and smashing the edge of the bushing. Your going to have to remove the tail housing to "debur" the ridge. If it is not the edge then it is the wrong bushing.

Quick Reply: Difficulty installing new driveshaft help please