93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Difficulty installing new driveshaft help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by omr
Do not take a torch to your transmission.
I'm not talking about a cutting torch partner.......just the same propane torch one would use to heat up a frozen pipe. I would NEVER use a cutting torch on anything just to warm it up a little to expand the aluminum a tad.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:47 AM
omr
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
Your going have to tear it down and get a new bushing. The driveshft yoke does not just need to be in the bushing it needs to have clearance. If you heated it up and slipped it in when you drove it the first mile the bushing would be ripped apart.

It could be during the pressing operation the tech did not protect the bushing enough and smashing the edge of the bushing. Your going to have to remove the tail housing to "debur" the ridge. If it is not the edge then it is the wrong bushing.
Originally Posted by richard.nelson100
I'm not talking about a cutting torch partner.......just the same propane torch one would use to heat up a frozen pipe. I would NEVER use a cutting torch on anything just to warm it up a little to expand the aluminum a tad.
Listen to gorn.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Your going have to tear it down and get a new bushing. The driveshft yoke does not just need to be in the bushing it needs to have clearance. If you heated it up and slipped it in when you drove it the first mile the bushing would be ripped apart.

It could be during the pressing operation the tech did not protect the bushing enough and smashing the edge of the bushing. Your going to have to remove the tail housing to "debur" the ridge. If it is not the edge then it is the wrong bushing.
Thanks boss........I'm tearing it down now! I thought that was right.....I just wanted a second opinioin.....appreciate it!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:56 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by omr
Listen to gorn.
Thanks for the opinions guys! That's what this forum is for. I'll let you know Monday how everything went.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Quick question..........how much clearance is necessary once the yoke can slide in. I've got a feeler gauge for it. What I'm doing is using a small grinding wheel and some 2000 grit wet/ dry sandpaper to smooth the bushing down.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you are trying to do this by hand, don't. I can seem to find the spec in my manual but I remember it being .001-.003 clearance range. If its seems to have a bur or a ridge on the edge then put a chamfer on it and see if it works. Unless you know what your doing and have access to a metal lathe do not try to recut the whole bushing. Not only for you need to maintain size you need to maintain concentricity with put put shaft.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If you are trying to do this by hand, don't. I can seem to find the spec in my manual but I remember it being .001-.003 clearance range. If its seems to have a bur or a ridge on the edge then put a chamfer on it and see if it works. Unless you know what your doing and have access to a metal lathe do not try to recut the whole bushing. Not only for you need to maintain size you need to maintain concentricity with put put shaft.

Sounds good boss...I'll take it to a shop and have them lathe it. Thanks man!

Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

A lot cheaper to get the correct bushing and get that installed. To safely set that up on a lathe and indicate in will take an hour so with tear down and cleaning they will charge you two hours. Rates vary depending where you live but it could cost $150-250.

It could also be done on a drill press with a indicator and a boring head. but that is not going to be any cheaper.

I am still hoping it was just not installed right and you can use a dremel tool or sand paper and put a small chamfer on the tail shaft seal side of the bushing.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well....it's all together now. I took a cylinder hone to the extension housing bushing, and that took care of the clearance problem. As it turned out, the guy I had install the bushing bashed it into place with a socket and burred the end. I'll never take anything there again, for obvious reasons. The new one-piece driveshaft is installed, along with a new pinion propeller yoke. New seals on the T-5 tranny look great, and the new tranny mount makes everything solid. I filled the differential with Amsoil 75-90 severe gear fluid, and I'm waiting for the tranny seals to cure before I add the 3 quarts of amsoil ATF fluid. While I was underneath the car I was able to depict several more vacuum leaks, and I replaced all of the rotten hoses around the charcoal canister, and the purge valve. The purge valve was still good. All in all, the entire vacuum system is new. I also serviced the smog system. No more check engine light! The car will pass California emmissions at this point. That's quite a feat. The only thing I have left to replace is the throttle position sensor. I'll pick that up tomorrow at O'Reilly. Wow! Considering the entire suspension is new and I did a short-block rebuild, I think it would be safe to say that this car is completely functional. Did I mention also that I unclogged the EGR system. Whew! Altogether it was a ton of blood, sweat, and tears. LOL When it gets a paint job and new interior I just might have to enter it into the ROTM. Who knows. For everybody that gave me their advice and wisdom......much thanks, and Merry Christmas to ya!

Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 AM
omr
In the Staging Lanes

Glad it all worked out, looks like gorn was right on the ball.

Quick Reply: Difficulty installing new driveshaft help please