93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

cylinder 1 misfire??? wierd one.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: cylinder 1 misfire??? wierd one.

Hmmmm... The engine misfires after it heats up, and you hear a tick, tick. How about a bad intake manifold gasket...maybe? With the engine running, spray some starting fluid around the intake manifold, between the manifold and head. If you hit a place where the idle speeds up, you found a leak. Or you could have a leak that leads into the lifter valley, that you won't be able to detect from the outside.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:28 PM

ive heard that method before just didnt think about it ill try that if the compression test is bad

Old 09-09-2008, 02:02 PM

i dont have a compression tester im waiting for my buddy to get off work and hes bringin his but i took it for another test run and how hot is that cat supposed to get i know it gets hot but its so hot i put my hand on the passenger side floor board and its really really hot and the seat mount bolts are too hot to touch. is it supposed to be that hot?

Old 09-10-2008, 12:37 AM

alright compression is a little under 90 psi so its ok i still tried the starting fluid thing and it did nothing. so idk, im totally lost now anyone know about this cat getting so hot. what else could it be? its not spark plugs, wires, coils, injectors, and the compressions fine. just for the heck of it i dissconected a few things and plugged em back in to see how the vehicle reacted, what should it do when i dissconnect the maf it did nothing ran exactly the same way when i unplugged it, at least at idle.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I would take a closer look at the cat then. Yes, the floor does get a little hot, but you're not supposed to be able to fry an egg on the seat mounting bolts. I've had a cat once that was broken up inside, with chunks going every which way. After it got hot, it would start to restrict the exhaust flow, and get reeeeeal hot. If that's what is happening to you, that tick you hear could be the exhaust trying to escape from the system before the cat.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Tech Droid

Have you compared the compression with the other cylinders? 90 PSI is a bit on the low side. Per FSM the minimum pressure is 100 PSI (usually up around 150, unless you have a wild cam) The minimum compression in 100PSI, and any one cylinder should not be less than 70 percent of the highest cylinder.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:21 AM

no i havent checked the other cylinders but i think its ok because its not missfiring low rpms only high and ive never heard of cylinder leakage only at high rpm... if i were to get rid of the cat all together would it throw codes???

Old 09-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If your exhaust system also has an oxygen sensor after the Cat, then yes it will throw a code. If not, then no it won't. I believe yours should have one.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:22 PM

yeah it does im gettin a high flow cat put in for 140 hopefully that fixes it what muffler sounds best on these?

Old 09-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Banned

Run a drop test on the fuel injector, hook up fuel pressure gauge, and energize system. Run 2 wires to the fuel injector and see how much fuel pressure drop you have on the gauge.
Whats the ohms reading cold/Hot?

Quick Reply: cylinder 1 misfire??? wierd one.