93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Cranks but won't start / no dash warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 PM

Massey - Great info, that makes a lot of sense.

Gorn - I am well aware of the process for rebuilt titles. The 97 Town Car I am daily driving was originally totaled due to a small dent in the rear quarter panel and the elderly owner went through their insurance company. So I ended up with a very clean, rare-optioned California Lincoln with 87k miles for $1250. Some time, energy, bondo and paint plus a new tail light was all it took for the DHSMV to turn my salvage-rebuild into a rebuilt.

As far as your theory on it being a flood car... There is absolutely no evidence to support that. No mold, rust, funny smells, dirt behind interior panels, etc. I'd like to offer my theory... Lightning strike. The antenna mast is missing (others who have had their cars struck state the electricity blew their antenna mast to high heaven), fried PCM, fried gauge cluster, fried radio, airbag and ABS lights on (probably fried the modules). Also when I got the car there was a hole in the rear tire, and as others have stated who've had their car struck, the electricity exited through one of their tires, puncturing it in the process.

If the vehicle was under enough water for all of these things to be fried from that, methinks I'd have found evidence of water in the engine, transmission, light housings, rear end... etc.

Your post implies that, as a "DIYer" I am going to be screwing a potential buyer by lying and selling them this totally unsafe car. I'm just a gear head who paid $575 + fees for an extremely clean Camaro and enjoy tinkering with cars on my days off. I also picked up a nice '07 Ford Five Hundred Limited that had a small engine fire for $1200.

BTW, the state of Florida does not issue salvage-rebuildable titles to vehicles that are not able to be rehabilitated or vehicles that would be too unsafe. That's where the titles branded only "salvage" come in.

Last edited by martz0r; 10-24-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

In almost 30 years of working on car and going to aution I have never seen a lighning strike car,but I have hear of them. What I have seen is car that where near lighning strikes and there is no way to mistake them, They tend to need repainted from the heat melted plasic pannels is very common.

The thing that would bother me the most is the oil. I have brought cars out of barn storage for twice as long as that camaro existed and not had the issue you had. Modern oil can handle storage a lot better the stuff we had in the 60s and 70s. If water did not push that crap to the top of the motor then what did?

So you can the car retitled with the ABS ans Air bag lights on?

Last edited by Gorn; 10-25-2013 at 06:08 PM.