Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

98 3.8 v6, cranks but won't start...

Old 07-10-2010, 12:40 AM
Unhappy 98 3.8 v6, cranks but won't start...

Hey guys, I have a 98 Camaro with the series 2 3.8 v6 engine. I have been having nothing but problems with this car for the last month or so. Everything worked just great until one day when the car would not start at all. It would crank and crank but would not start. I unhooked the fuel filter and turned the key on to see if i had any fuel pressure coming from the pump. The pump didn't even come on or anything. Anyways to make this quick, I pulled the tank, checked the pump, wiring harness, etc. The fuel pump is good but turns out there was no power to the fuel pump relay. I traced the wires out and found out that the ECM was fried. I put a new ECM in the car and after doing the relearn procedures on the car it started and ran and drove great... for 1 day. The next time i went to start it all it would do was crank again. I've replaced the ignition switch, fuel pump relay, tightened all the grounds, ran a voltage check on the coils to check for power. My main hang up now is that I will sometimes have power to the fuel pump so i will have fuel, but then i'm not getting fire. But then i lost fuel relay power again after checking the ignition coils with a volt/ohm meter. I really like this car but all of the sudden i've lost all real electrical control of my car and i dont want to give up on her but i dont know where else to turn. If ANYONE else has any good tips, hints, or suggestions/ questions. PLEASE help me out, otherwise my poor baby with probably have to be put out to pasture. Thanks for anything you can give me.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:53 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you had it scanned for trouble codes? any security lights? vats could be acting up. check the plugins to the ecm, pull the fuse box under the hood and check for any lose or damaged wires or connectors. it may be the body control modual also.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:45 PM

like he said and maybe try using a external pump and hook up a toggle switch?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:14 PM

Your harness has a shorted set of wires that are intermittently contacting each other or ground. I had my transmission overhauled and the shop did not set the harness correctly on their clamps against the transmission bolts.. the harness was scorched by the exhaust and burnt wires. I went through a fuel pump removal and the the tank was hell to remove, then i went through fuse blowing, just cranking without ignition, and a couple of rides in the tow truck back to the house.