93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

clutch/bellhousing noise???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Default clutch/bellhousing noise???

ive got a 95 v6 3.4 and when i bought it, i was told it needed a new clutch. To make a long story short, I have replaced the clutch and then some. I put my clutch back together and I didn't do something right because when I let off the clutch in nutr. it will make almost like a whining/grinding sound at the bellhousing area. it will only do it at the 1/4ths way out on the clutch peddle. but if I put it in gear then it will do it the whole time. unless the clutch is pushed in. it sounds like when the throwout bearing is engauged it is grinding on the fingers of the pressure plate. and the clutch is not ingauging right. and when I start the car in neutral i cant shift into any of the gears. anyone know what I did wrong??? [sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 12-05-2006, 04:24 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: clutch/bellhousing noise???

Did you put a new input bearing in? That might not be flush. Did you check the fluid of your trans? You might have bad bearings in there or bad synchros. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:30 AM

[sm=dontgetit.gif] I'm sorry, I'm new at this. You said the input bearing, and I wasn't sure exactly what that was. The throwout bearing??? It seems like people use quite a few differnt words for the same part, and it get's kind of confusing. If that's what you were referring to, yes, we did change the throwout bearing. my boyfriend and his dad both get the feeling that this is what is causing my problem. That maybe the part store gave us one that is a little different, or possibly it wasn't installed correctly. the tranny has sufficient fluid in it.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:42 AM
3rd Gear Member

The input bearing is located in the crankshaft and it is not the same thing as the throw out bearing. But if the parts store gave you that looks different, that might be the reason why it is making those funny noises. http://hybridproject.driveev.com/pic...6/P1010079.jpg The thing in the middle.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:50 AM

stupidly enough, we didn't even think to compare any of the parts from the clutch kit, to the ones that were already in the car, but we still have the old parts, so I'm going down to the parts store i got it from in the morning to compare it with the one I just bought and installed. And i will mention checking the input bearing to my boyfriend, since obviously were going to have to take it apart again anyway! thank you for all of your help! suzie.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

If you do have to take it out, put some grease in the center and then find a solid shaft that will fit in there (make sure it'll slide out) and then just give it a light but swift hit with the hammer. The grease is non compressable so it will drive the bearing out from the crankshaft. IF YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT OUT!!!! But that's a good call comparing new parts with old parts.

I used to work at Murray's Auto Discounts and they don't know what parts go to what car! Therefore I quit lol.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:48 AM

I know what you mean. I myself am pretty much mechanically retarded, but I'm learning. I have never really had an interest in working on cars, that is until I got my camaro, and now it really interests me. (Which, from what I'm told is a good thing, because I might be doing a lot of it!) But even as a beginner of beginners, and being a girl (one that never even changed her own oil!) I am still a hell of a lot more competent than the guys behind the counter at my local parts store. It seems their IQ's are about the same as their age! I called and told one of the employees I needed to make sure they still had another clutch assembly in stock for a 95 v6 3.4 camaro, because I recently purchased one, and I needed to come down and verify that the throwout bearing was the same as the one that came out of my car. He started punching away at his computer and his first question was, "is this a manual or an automatic?" He realized how f****** dumb that sounded, so I let that one slide, and kind of laughed. But then he tells me that his computer showed that they didn't carry it. I tried to speak slow, and explain that this wasn't possible because I had just bought one from there, and not only did they carry it, but the guy that helped me said they had 2 in stock. He even went as far as to call another store and see if they had one. (which was nice, but still irritating!) Luckily I insisted on him checking the computer again, or maybe his shelves, and then he comes back to the phone and says, "well I show we don't carry the throwout (release) bearing, but i have 1 clutch assembly in stock." I just gritted my teeth and put on my sweet voice, and said, oh that will do just fine, got my part number, and hung up the phone. It made me really miss the old parts store that recently closed down by my house, where the old guy was a little slow, but he knew his ****. Which was a good thing, because I usually had no idea what in the hell I was going in there asking for! Anyway, thanks for your help. Hopefully, I'll have my car up and going soon. [sm=drooldude.gif]

Old 12-07-2006, 02:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well I think it's hot when girls work on their own cars (and I hope your boy friend doesn't beat my ***) but it is something that girls should know the basics about so they don't get *** ****ed when their car breaks down on the side of the road and all that is needed is a simple fix. You know, everyone has to start some where. Manual Transmission, very gutsy to tackle as your first project. Don't even get me started with the parts store people. I used to work at Murray's Auto Discount. They are a bunch of **** dwelling *** chimps. I had the same problem you did with them, and I WORKED THERE!!! How bad is that!?!?! On my buddy's 98 Grand Prix, we had to change out the rear calipers. So I took em off, and put a plug in the line. Got to Murray's and they wouldn't give me the caliper saying that it was too big for the rear, I pulled them off the front and they wouldn't sell me the part. I passed their stupid car parts quiz with a 98% and they wouldn't give me the damn part.

Well I hope you get your new clutch assembly there so you can compare parts.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i would have to agree if its making a rolling grinding noise in neutral with the clutch released its most likely the throwout bearing. you can push the clutch in and the noise should quiet down or go away, if it does its definately the throw out bearing. hope this helps.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:24 AM

thanks guys. and yes, that's exactly what it's doing.