93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.4 camaro fuel system upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by FredM
nwhelan it seems like you you dont care about the very good warnings and advise you are getting here, I realize it isnt your car but hopefully you let your friend know everything that was mentioned here. And hopefully you write back here when the motor goes up in smoke, Im sure the guys here wont be to hard on you.
Thank you for educating me, man with 3 posts.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
When I first bought my 3.4, I was all about making it faster than a z28. Then reality hit when I had installed EVERY available bolt on for it and it's still no faster than a stock 3.8 Camaro. I've learned by spending hard earned money that building a 3.4 is just not feasible. If your friend really does want to go fast, buy a wrecked z28 and do a motor swap. You should be able to pick up a wrecked lt1 car for about $1000. That's a ton of money saved, a better platform to play with, and about the same amount of work. Not to mention, your car will be reliable. Why build a 3.4 for $7000 when you could swap in a lt1, be ahead of the game with a v8 platform, be more reliable, be much faster, have more doors to open in the future for power, and cost a ton less money than building a non reliable boosted 60 degree block. Honestly it took me over a year to realize that building my 3.4 was a huge mistake. If I would have saved the money I spent in JUST bolt ons, I could have already done a lt1 swap. I regret my mistakes but here in a couple months I'll be tackling my own swap. I wish you the best of luck in whichever decision you and your friend make. Let us know what happens. Another thing to consider: you can do a v8 swap with a donor car in a week if you're really pushing, while building your boosted 3.4 is going to take months.
I'll be sure to tell him this, the only reason he's going turbo is because he got alot of the parts for free from his friends subaru, he's already got a turbo, intercooler, wastegate, bov, and a IC piping and he hasn't spent a dime.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:09 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

So tell him to save those turbo parts for the v8 lol. Honesty, JUST the exhaust he'll have to build will cost $1000 including custom headers. He's better off getting a lt1/ls1 donor car. He'll be faster, more reliable, getting the same, if not better, fuel mileage, and for WAY less money in the end.

On another note, just because a user has only 3 posts, doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. Some may take offense to that. Just sending out a heads up. Some of our most valuable members have low post counts. Lol.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:23 PM

So tell him to save those turbo parts for the v8 lol. Honesty, JUST the exhaust he'll have to build will cost $1000 including custom headers. He's better off getting a lt1/ls1 donor car. He'll be faster, more reliable, getting the same, if not better, fuel mileage, and for WAY less money in the end.

On another note, just because a user has only 3 posts, doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. Some may take offense to that. Just sending out a heads up. Some of our most valuable members have low post counts. Lol.
He was being a **** to me, I returned the favor. Is there a detailed write up for the engine swap I can look at somewhere? The main reason he chose a turbo over a swap is because of how much easier it is, he didn't really want to have to deal with harnesses and stuff.

Last edited by nwhelan; 07-29-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:12 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Harness swap is cake walk man. There are write ups on LS1tech.com and a couple around here somewhere I think. Just have to do a search on it. Honestly doing a lt1 swap is going to be easier because there is no custom parts or tuning to do. It's all bolt in stuff.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:33 PM

When I first bought my 3.4, I was all about making it faster than a z28. Then reality hit when I had installed EVERY available bolt on for it and it's still no faster than a stock 3.8 Camaro. I've learned by spending hard earned money that building a 3.4 is just not feasible. If your friend really does want to go fast, buy a wrecked z28 and do a motor swap. You should be able to pick up a wrecked lt1 car for about $1000. That's a ton of money saved, a better platform to play with, and about the same amount of work. Not to mention, your car will be reliable. Why build a 3.4 for $7000 when you could swap in a lt1, be ahead of the game with a v8 platform, be more reliable, be much faster, have more doors to open in the future for power, and cost a ton less money than building a non reliable boosted 60 degree block. Honestly it took me over a year to realize that building my 3.4 was a huge mistake. If I would have saved the money I spent in JUST bolt ons, I could have already done a lt1 swap. I regret my mistakes but here in a couple months I'll be tackling my own swap. I wish you the best of luck in whichever decision you and your friend make. Let us know what happens. Another thing to consider: you can do a v8 swap with a donor car in a week if you're really pushing, while building your boosted 3.4 is going to take months.
I've passed this info on to him and we'll probably just end up swapping it, but I'm really interested to know what would go first on the boosted engine because his uncle has got a ton of 3.4's sitting around.