93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.4 camaro fuel system upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Default 3.4 camaro fuel system upgrades

I'm helping a friend tubro his 3.4 camaro and I need some info about the fuel system, I know we'll have to upgrade to a 190lph fuel pump but I've read that the OEM fuel lines are too small to support the extra hp. I also need to know if the new fuel pump needs to rewired, where to get bigger 40 lb injectors and if a new fuel rail will be needed to house the injectors. I realize it's a lot to ask but I figured if anyone knew it would be you guys.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:56 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You should be able to run a ful z28 fuel system (aside from injectors) you can use any size injectors you like, obviously depending on your application. Be sure to have a tuning option. Turbos and 3.4's don't mix well because of the shotty head and intake design. Good luck and let us know what happens. By the way, as far as I know, Megasquirt is the only tuning software that will work with your PCM.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
You should be able to run a ful z28 fuel system (aside from injectors) you can use any size injectors you like, obviously depending on your application. Be sure to have a tuning option. Turbos and 3.4's don't mix well because of the shotty head and intake design. Good luck and let us know what happens. By the way, as far as I know, Megasquirt is the only tuning software that will work with your PCM.
Thanks for the info, From what I've heard the engine shouldn't have any problems taking the boost, but flow will be limited by the intake. I'm not concerned though because that's something we can upgrade in the future after we've got everything working. The only real concern I have about the fuel system is the lines, because replacing them will be a huge hassle, are you sure they need to be upgraded?

Old 07-28-2012, 02:30 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That I'm not sure of but z28 lines should be an easy swap. Btw, I wouldn't run more than 5lbs of boost without doing a 3x00 head swap.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
That I'm not sure of but z28 lines should be an easy swap. Btw, I wouldn't run more than 5lbs of boost without doing a 3x00 head swap.
Alright, I'll take that into account, would a custom PCM tune work as well as a megasquirt system?

Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nwhelan
Thanks for the info, From what I've heard the engine shouldn't have any problems taking the boost, but flow will be limited by the intake. I'm not concerned though because that's something we can upgrade in the future after we've got everything working. The only real concern I have about the fuel system is the lines, because replacing them will be a huge hassle, are you sure they need to be upgraded?
Depends on what internals are you working with. Trans will not hold including the rear. I've personally seen this done 2 yrs ago. Motor lasted 4months at 3psi. It cost him exactly 7,089.97 in parts and dyno 268hp.(if I remember correctly) 7k could get him a ls1 or lt1 and rebuild it with all kinds of mods. What kind of turbo does he have.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by slick's camaro
Depends on what internals are you working with. Trans will not hold including the rear. I've personally seen this done 2 yrs ago. Motor lasted 4months at 3psi. It cost him exactly 7,089.97 in parts and dyno 268hp.(if I remember correctly) 7k could get him a ls1 or lt1 and rebuild it with all kinds of mods. What kind of turbo does he have.
It's a T3/T4 hybrid, I'm not sure the inlet size. What went on the engine?

Old 07-29-2012, 10:06 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

3psi isn't worth the $7,000-$10,000 you're going to spend. Like said above, you can have a very nice ls1 m6 for that money. Also, as said before, a 3.4 won't last very long with boost unless you have all forged internals and a head swap.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:42 AM

nwhelan it seems like you you dont care about the very good warnings and advise you are getting here, I realize it isnt your car but hopefully you let your friend know everything that was mentioned here. And hopefully you write back here when the motor goes up in smoke, Im sure the guys here wont be to hard on you.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:49 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

When I first bought my 3.4, I was all about making it faster than a z28. Then reality hit when I had installed EVERY available bolt on for it and it's still no faster than a stock 3.8 Camaro. I've learned by spending hard earned money that building a 3.4 is just not feasible. If your friend really does want to go fast, buy a wrecked z28 and do a motor swap. You should be able to pick up a wrecked lt1 car for about $1000. That's a ton of money saved, a better platform to play with, and about the same amount of work. Not to mention, your car will be reliable. Why build a 3.4 for $7000 when you could swap in a lt1, be ahead of the game with a v8 platform, be more reliable, be much faster, have more doors to open in the future for power, and cost a ton less money than building a non reliable boosted 60 degree block. Honestly it took me over a year to realize that building my 3.4 was a huge mistake. If I would have saved the money I spent in JUST bolt ons, I could have already done a lt1 swap. I regret my mistakes but here in a couple months I'll be tackling my own swap. I wish you the best of luck in whichever decision you and your friend make. Let us know what happens. Another thing to consider: you can do a v8 swap with a donor car in a week if you're really pushing, while building your boosted 3.4 is going to take months.

Quick Reply: 3.4 camaro fuel system upgrades