1998 Z28 Auto Trans Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 1998 Z28 Auto Trans Issue

OK, I think I've found my answer, but just looking for a bit of confirmation here. My transmission is able to shift just fine to and from every gear and can manually shift from one gear to the next without any problems. My issues are as follows:

1) When I am in D or OD at a red light, if I give the car a bit more gas and don't "ease" into a start, it seems like it starts off a bit harsh-like it "bumps into gear."

2) I do have the occasional prolonged or hard shift, but not ridiculously hard or annoying. Just enough to **** you off that you know something's up.

3) The car can and does shift very well at speed, most notably if I were to hit the gas hard. When doing so, it functions quite well, as it always has. I avoid hammering it at all costs, however.

Sooo...after taking a stroll through the "sticky note" on the transmissions, talking with a few more mechanically inclined friends, and from what I could gather on the web, the solenoids might need to be replaced? Also, a transmission conditioner might help a bit? To me, the latter seems as if it might just mask the problem for a while.

Anyway, I'm also thinking of taking the car to a different mechanic, as the guy I normally use swears there's nothing wrong. I disagree.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Also, if my basic premise is correct, does anyone have an idea of the relative cost of replacing them?

Last edited by flowride; 03-21-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Forgot to mention that I had a complete transmission service and flush about 6-8 weeks ago, along with a radiator flush as well.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow...8 days and the only person who's answered my thread is...me.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:40 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wish i could help but my trans knowhow is minimum. youve already done what i would have and came up with the same answers.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
wish i could help but my trans knowhow is minimum. youve already done what i would have and came up with the same answers.
Thanks, anyhow, Craby. I do appreciate it. And now I'm at a crossroads, too. I have to decide if it's worth it to keep the car or just move on. I can probably get a transmission rebuild for about $1200, give or take a few bucks. The AC unit blows super cold and I've had the vacuum hoses replaced. Still blowing under the dash. Verrry frustrating.

The car only has 86k on it and I've never been one to beat the car. Pampered, if anything. I never had issues with her till I moved to CA. That's why this has been so frustrating.

She's my "family car," as my other car is a 2007 Pontiac Sostice GXP with only 21k miles. I have to decide...take out a few grand and fix her up completely or just sell her to some kid who'll want to make it his/her own. It's gut wrenching to think that I'd end up trading her on something like a VW Tiguan or a Buick Encore, but the possibility is real. Worse? I could become a complete ******bag and trade it on a BMW 3 Series. LOL...the wife teases me that I love that car more than her.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:45 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have a look here and see what you can find 700r4l60e.com - Index page its not a place i have used much but seems pretty straight forward. i use this place 700R4, 700 Raptor Transmission from PATC, 700R4 4L60E 48RE 4L80E and they have some info but i dont think as much.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
have a look here and see what you can find 700r4l60e.com - Index page its not a place i have used much but seems pretty straight forward. i use this place 700R4, 700 Raptor Transmission from PATC, 700R4 4L60E 48RE 4L80E and they have some info but i dont think as much.
Thanks, man. Will do.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The reason you are not getting responses is because there is no way to diagnose this issue based on what you types. The computer controls the shift points. “if I give the car a bit more gas and don't "ease" into a start, it seems like it starts off a bit harsh-like” is exactly what the compute is suppose to do. When the Map sensor sees increased load this increases the pressures in the transmission. The soft shift you feel when you “ease into it” can be very hard on your clutches. Think of it as riding the clutch on a manual. The harder shift you are talking about will protect the clutches. Some people pay good money for harsh shifts

There are two easy ways to make your transmission last longer and they are very common upgrades on 4th gens. A Corvette accumulator spring and reprogram the PCM for a hard shift. These both will make the transmission last longer and they would cause your complaint. Since everything is working as it should the mechanic is saying nothing is wrong because there is no adjustment to fix this. You can throw parts at the issue all day long and if you are dealing with a reprogrammed PCM or a Vet accumulator spring you are not going to get anywhere. If it is really bothering you need to find a expert GM transmission tech, Someone who has built dozens of these both stock and upgraded and get him to drive it. He should be able to tell if this a plan shift pattern or something else. This will be a very fine feel. Even two transmission experts cannot communicate this level of feel other than to say it feels more like a broken accumulator spring not a heavy stronger accumulator spring. The only way to get that level of feel is by driving cars with those condition. It can not be taught in a book or a forum.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-02-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
The reason you are not getting responses is because there is no way to diagnose this issue based on what you types. The computer controls the shift points. “if I give the car a bit more gas and don't "ease" into a start, it seems like it starts off a bit harsh-like” is exactly what the compute is suppose to do. When the Map sensor sees increased load this increases the pressures in the transmission. The soft shift you feel when you “ease into it” can be very hard on your clutches. Think of it as riding the clutch on a manual. The harder shift you are talking about will protect the clutches. Some people pay good money for harsh shifts

There are two easy ways to make your transmission last longer and they are very common upgrades on 4th gens. A Corvette accumulator spring and reprogram the PCM for a hard shift. These both will make the transmission last longer and they would cause your complaint. Since everything is working as it should the mechanic is saying nothing is wrong because there is no adjustment to fix this. You can throw parts at the issue all day long and if you are dealing with a reprogrammed PCM or a Vet accumulator spring you are not going to get anywhere. If it is really bothering you need to find a expert GM transmission tech, Someone who has built dozens of these both stock and upgraded and get him to drive it. He should be able to tell if this a plan shift pattern or something else. This will be a very fine feel. Even two transmission experts cannot communicate this level of feel other than to say it feels more like a broken accumulator spring not a heavy stronger accumulator spring. The only way to get that level of feel is by driving cars with those condition. It can not be taught in a book or a forum.
Gorn,

Thanks for taking the time to explain what could be (or not be) going on. Not being a mechanic-backyard or otherwise-makes it really tough to spot issues. I guess if my mechanic says it's ok, then it could very likely be ok.

Again, I truly appreciate the input.