4th gen t-5'5 all the same?

Old 04-06-2013, 02:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 4th gen t-5'5 all the same?

My 96 RS with 3.8 and T-5 has been giving me a bit of trouble shifting into 2nd gear and has jumped out of 5th a couple of times too. I was able to pick up a good T-5 out of a 99 with 3.8 yesterday and I'm assuming they are the same aren't they? I don't want to pull mine all they way out THEN find out something is different.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:12 AM
4th Gear Member

Should be the same. Only ones that would be different would be the ones for the 3.4. Bell housing pattern would be different on them.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:32 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I just double checked on car-parts.com (used part lookup) They list all 1996-2002 as bolt in replacments.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

GOOD! Thanks, that makes me a little more encouraged about changing it out.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If the car has had the same clutch in it for a while it my not want to come out too easy. Mine really fought me. It looked to me like there was a build up on the input shaft of cluch material and dirt. The build up was on the wrong side of the clutch plate so the clutch plate has to work like a scraper to clean off the input shaft. If the tranny comes about 3/4" out them seem to not want to go any further that is what is going on. It would be very easy to damage the clutch plate once the input shaft comes out of the pilot bushing. DO NOT let the transmissin hang by the clutch plate unless your changing it. You want to pull straight back, resist the urger to go side to side to get it out.

There was something funny about the release bearing also. Anyone done one recently? I did mine 3 years ago. All I can remember was thinking don't forget that. If I get a change I will look it up in the shop manual.

Good luck

Post back if you have any other issue. After 200k my first gear sync are having issues. I may just track down a low miles replacment myself.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-07-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
If the car has had the same clutch in it for a while it my not want to come out too easy. Mine really fought me. It looked to me like there was a build up on the input shaft of cluch material and dirt. The build up was on the wrong side of the clutch plate so the clutch plate has to work like a scraper to clean off the input shaft. If the tranny comes about 3/4" out them seem to not want to go any further that is what is going on. It would be very easy to damage the clutch plate once the input shaft comes out of the pilot bushing. DO NOT let the transmissin hang by the clutch plate unless your changing it. You want to pull straight back, resist the urger to go side to side to get it out.

There was something funny about the release bearing also. Anyone done one recently? I did mine 3 years ago. All I can remember was thinking don't forget that. If I get a change I will look it up in the shop manual.

Good luck

Post back if you have any other issue. After 200k my first gear sync are having issues. I may just track down a low miles replacment myself.
The one I bought done that very thing! I fought it for bout an hour and a half prying and wiggling and pulling then it finally came out!
I'm not sure of miles on this one due to the gauges were already gone and were probably digital odo too. It felt good shifting through the gears or at least better than mine!

Search this Thread