Sofie's Official Engine Rebuild Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Finished up the wire looming today. Might add more later when the engine is in. It'll be a 'creative decision.' Also painted the alternator. It'll probably be replaced by the end of the year with a more powerful one, but for now, I just wiped it off and slapped some paint on. Not the prettiest, but it at least won't be such an eyesore painted.

Name:  102_0740.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  110.4 KB

Name:  102_0739.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  102_0738.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  107.5 KB

Name:  102_0741.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  114.4 KB

Sofie and the Bomber. It's painfully obvious now as to who owns these vehicles. But either way, the Bomber is a big part of the build. Wouldn't have been able to go anywhere without it. The new piston rings are scheduled to be here today, Case should have the engine done tonight. He only has to put the last piston in and the other head (along with the push rods, rocker arms, etc) on that side and then put the oil pan on and it should be wrapped up. Saturday morning begins the installation. I've been getting excited about it the past couple days. I thought I would never have my car back the way it was going...

Old 07-15-2010, 04:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i hope everything works out soon. I was looking at this all day today lol. The pink looks good against the black, really works for that car.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:50 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

well bad news. the set of rings i ordered, summit neglected to mention that they only work on sealed power pistons and not oem, so they arent the right size. theyre going back, i already ordered a set second day air from hastings that i know will be right, and we are going to try to get a one cylinder set from a dealer tomorrow. i know of one that is supposed to have it in stock, but its over an hour away

Old 07-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

One thing after another going wrong

Old 07-15-2010, 09:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by DarlingReject
One thing after another going wrong
God is afraid of your progress, lol. Just keep on keepin' on and you'll have her back on the road in no time.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

when she gets on the road shell be a beast

Old 07-15-2010, 11:02 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

nice pictures, good job. dont get in a hurry no matter how bad you want it. it will take longer if you do. lol works that way for me. treat yourself, make the old man take you out to dinner,,, well breakfast, lol. itll be over soon. could always work on the bomber some more.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:23 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Don't worry, my motor has been in the machine shop for a little over 3 weeks now. I want it back so I can get it on the road

Old 07-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by craby
nice pictures, good job. dont get in a hurry no matter how bad you want it. it will take longer if you do. lol works that way for me. treat yourself, make the old man take you out to dinner,,, well breakfast, lol. itll be over soon. could always work on the bomber some more.
Lol, I've been trying to be patient. Pharro quoted us 2-3 weeks. They took 4, almost 5. I have everything all ready to go. Everything else with the engine assembling went smoothly, it was just that first piston that gave a problem. After this is over, we're taking a full day to just relax. Just go somewhere for a day to get away from the cars. We need it. It's definitely put a strain on the relationship, but there's no problems at all. The poor Bomber has really taken a beating. It is a beater though. Haha. But that thing needs a well-deserved break for many months.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by DarlingReject
Well the rebuild has finally commenced! Ok, really the tear down has commenced. We started yesterday after giving the Bomber a tune-up so I can drive it during the rebuild. So as of now, the engine is OUT! Almost all the gaskets were shot. Someone had the engine apart before, so we're going to check the numbers to see if it's even the original engine. Whoever had it apart was an idiot though, there's bolts missing and gaskets put on the wrong sides...Here's a whole bunch of pics.

It rained off and on all day today, but I could luckily use my parent's canopy so at least the bay would stay dry to work. Btw, that's the bf tearing it apart, aka microkid. The block is out and sitting on the driveway until tomorrow. He's gonna take it and tear that apart and then deliver it at the beginning of next week to Pharro Performance for the machine work. Until then it's my job to clean everything up in the mean time. The bay will get nice and cleaned up considering everything is coated in oil from all the gasket leaks and coolant from the tear down. I still have some parts to get and the rest have to come by mail. I have neon pink wiring looming to replace some of the black (not all, just the smaller stuff) and I have to get black engine paint to paint the block, intake, and valve covers. The grooves on the intake and valve covers will be filled in with matching pink enamel as well as '3800 series II' lettering will be painted pink to match my stripes and air box. She'll be one sexy looking engine bay when I get done with it. Pics will follow everything of course.
looks like your doing good i would paint the actual bay too have fun with the degreaser and scrubber

Quick Reply: Sofie's Official Engine Rebuild Thread!