Sofie's Official Engine Rebuild Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 10:27 PM
2nd Gear member

Looks great, she will definitely be getting lots of attention at her car show debut.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:17 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by DarlingReject
She's definitely a one of a kind car now, MY one of a kind car. I know pink is not everyone's first choice of color, but I think it looks great so far.
The shade of pink that you chose is a bright, vibrant color that really pops next to the black. It looks really, really good. Not just any shade of pink would have worked. That you were able to find wire looms that match the paint is a great detail that a lot of people would have overlooked.

Is this going to be your daily driver once it is all back together?

I hope that it holds up to the temps and conditions under the hood.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are we there yet?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

She's alive! There were just a few things to work out after the start up. We missed putting the trans lines back into the rad (easy fix), the exhaust was rattling, there was a coolant leak from the improperly sized o-rings, and the starter was being goofy. We had to make a parts run and get more coolant and try to find o-rings to fit. They were off of the heater hoses, which happened to be a dealer-only part apparently. But we found ones in a similar size and just used good 'ol RTV on it. Fixed the leaks! The cat was rattling from hitting the k member (again) so Case hammered out some plate that was there to temporarily fix it and it took care of that rattle. The starter...needs replaced. It starts, but won't start that great when hot. So I'm going to order a new one tomorrow and then that problem will be solved (hopefully). There was already a small issue with it every once and awhile before the engine build, so I guess with sitting so long and being moved all around it finally weakened it. I just have to be careful when starting her for right now. But we went through the whole break-in process, and now I get to drive her, just staying easy on her for a couple weeks for now. I'm going to compile a list tomorrow probably of everything that was wrong and what I had done to her. I just don't feel like it right now. I'm tired. We started at 10 this morning and worked until around 8. We took some vids, mainly of the exhaust because she sounds so cool cammed. I'm VERY happy with how this turned out, despite all the problems and some of the smaller issues. The exhaust just has a couple small leaks in it that will be fixed soon and I need to fix some grounds on my extra lighting. But other than those few things that still needs worked out, she's running beautifully. And she sounds and looks absolutely amazing. I'm so proud of her. Of course it would have never happened without my wonderful Case.

Name:  102_0757.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  107.8 KB

Name:  102_0760.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  102_0762.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  102_0765.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  111.5 KB

Name:  102_0768.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  104.8 KB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqtYjRlnvPM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W4Bhjc0_jM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BV9aLs-LAc

Old 07-18-2010, 09:40 PM
2nd Gear member

looks great now you just gotta finish the small things

Old 07-18-2010, 10:01 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thats so kool. dont cha wish the dang camara s would pick up background noise. can hear you two talking clear as a bell. sounds really good but i had to put it on the stereo and turn it way up. lol. the engine room looks great. perfect mix of colors.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, my camera picks up some good sounds, but it's not the best quality for sounds. It's good enough though, you can still kinda hear everything. She sounds so awesome. This week will be spent (when I have time) doing some touch up/finishing work. Today the starter wasn't acting up, so I might hold off on a new one for maybe 2 weeks or so. A new one is around $200, and my bank account is pretty drained right now.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Overdrive Member

Congrats on getting her running again!! I will be doing this very same thing here soon My Sarah had an oil filter fail on me and now there is a rod knocking. I have an engine from a 99 Park Ave, that I am getting today and then I will need to swap everything over. I will check out the pics and vids when I get home tonight my work computer will not allow the images to show in the posts.

Massey

Old 07-19-2010, 08:39 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

once its all broken in and ready for play, we're going to make some new sound clips and a flyby to compare to what it sounded like previously

Old 07-20-2010, 10:28 PM

This is kinda random and off topic... But the way you got it on those ramps is genius! I just had to replace my throwout bearing and I just had A LOT of trouble getting my RS on ramps with the my aftermarket front end. Way to low. lol

Quick Reply: Sofie's Official Engine Rebuild Thread!