Project 96

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am done for the day. Hi flow cat and front swaybar in the near future.

Name:  Brakesfin.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  146.7 KB

Old 08-01-2010, 11:22 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I like those rotors, I should upgrade mine someday.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Default You had to pull from bottom?

Originally Posted by Gorn
Well I am knee deep in it now. Pulling the motor out of the bottom turned out of be a bit of a challange with no lift and a 1-1/2 cargarage. I am hoping my 20023.8 (50K) will be here for the long weekend.

I am having a little trouble staying in budget. I assumed $200 for beer expenses. Thats about gone and I just got the motor out. Oh well sometimes these things just can't be budgeted.

You had to pull the motor thru the bottom? Looks like there's plenty of room to pull from front end. I went to the dealer and they said that's the only way. I'm just trying to figure it out for when I do it.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:18 PM
2nd Gear member

You should start a new thread on this topic.

When I did my 94 I dropped the engine/trans/subframe/rack/front suspension out the bottom. It's what GM says to do so I did it that way. I had some shops tell me that they pull out the top but nobody could give me specifics.

From what i can see, the 3.4 is so tight up against the cowl that you can't go up. Plus only the first 2 cylinders are ahead of the cowl. What are you going to grab to lift? At the bottom the oil pan is right up against the subframe so you can't go forward. I guess you could pull the engine mounts and brackets to squeeze by but I wasn't interested in finding out. As for pulling out the top, the *only* way I see that happening is to pull the upper intake. Doable for sure. But what about reinstalling that upper intake once the engine is back in the car? No thanks.
I used 2 floor jacks to lift the body while resting the subframe on a dolly.

Attached Thumbnails Project 96-img_0430.jpg  

Last edited by 1augapfel; 10-01-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:20 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by sexyspeed100
You had to pull the motor thru the bottom? Looks like there's plenty of room to pull from front end. I went to the dealer and they said that's the only way. I'm just trying to figure it out for when I do it.
The motor can come out the top but it will take twice as long to do it. I have read several threads from guys that have done it both ways and everyone of them said they will never pull it out the top again. You have to pull the exhaust manifolds to get it out. I am told that just pulling the manifold is tuffer then dropping the motor.

Once you unbolt the frame the car itself is very light. Just put a couple of jack stands on the rear axle so the car can pivot and lift the car with a engine hoist. If you want PM me your email and I can get you a kind of step by step, It is for a V8 but the process is very simular.

Name:  Liftcar.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  52.5 KB

Last edited by Gorn; 09-30-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Hi flow cat and front swaybar in the near future.
any update on the high flow cat and front swaybar. i just went through this whole thread and am eager to hear more...

Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sorry, I gutted the cat and I moved on to a Lt1 6 speed project. This car will still serve as my daily driver until the new project is on the road. It will most likely pass to my daughter when she gets her licenses.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:19 PM

Great job Gorn, I am impressed with the MPG, kinda debunks the claims that Hybrids are getting by putting all the weight in battery powered sytems just to squeez a few MPGs when a gasser can probalby do about the same with some tuning.

Keep us informed on your LT1 project, inquiring minds want to know what is in store next.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:22 AM
1st Gear Member

how did you get the motor out without a lift? i didnt think that would be possible

Old 01-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Overdrive Member

Simple use the cherry picker to lift the car high enough to get the engine out from under it. I got the engine out of my car in about 6 hours, no lift, no power tools, just normal shop stuff.

Massey

Quick Reply: Project 96