Just bought my first CAMARO project car/ weekend driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 10:55 PM

Thanks man! I really love it. It needs a lot of work. It was a daily driver for some kid I believe. I have a lot of plans for it! I’d like to get it in good enough shape to show!

Old 02-16-2019, 12:24 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigJim0989
Thanks man! I really love it. It needs a lot of work. It was a daily driver for some kid I believe. I have a lot of plans for it! I’d like to get it in good enough shape to show!
What size tires are on it now? If I remember right the standard v-6 cars had 225's but maybe the RS got the bigger tires like the Z28?
My old '93 Z had 16" 245's if memory serves, might be a nice fit for your car if it has the smaller size.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
What size tires are on it now? If I remember right the standard v-6 cars had 225's but maybe the RS got the bigger tires like the Z28?
My old '93 Z had 16" 245's if memory serves, might be a nice fit for your car if it has the smaller size.

just put on a set of 225 60 16 Goodyear’s! Got a good deal on them!

This pic was taken before I put the rear coils in.

These tires are just a touch taller and skinnier than factory for for what I paid for them I couldn’t pass them up.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:49 AM
4th Gear Member
Talking

Always nice to get a deal, maybe some time down the road a bit you can replace just the rears with something a little wider like 245's to give it more of that hotrod look.
I know how it is being on a budget build, done a lot of it over the years. I got my first Camaro a 1969 way back in 1977,traded a running '64 Chevy pickup for it because the Camaro had a dead 327 in it with a rod through the side of the block and the owner needed a running rig asap. I found a 427 from a friend that had it in a '57 Chevy pickup, I had acquired another running 327 for the Camaro but I really wanted a big block and he was wanting a small block for the '57. The 427 was knocking after a cam change to a big solid lifter cam but I traded the 327 for it anyway. It was too much motor for an otherwise stock '57 short wide pickup and he wanted a nice mouse to replace the rat.
When I got the 427 home and started to pull it down I found it had a bunch of bent pushrods as soon as I pulled a valve cover. I talked with a few friends and then the Chevy dealer and came to find out that the rocker arms were wrong for the big cam, with new correct (H stamped) rockers and new pushrods installed she ran like a raped ape.
The only things I changed on the Camaro at first were the motor mounts and a set of big block headers, I couldn't shut the hood because of the Edlebrock intake and Holley double pumper on top of a big block was too tall for a stock flat hood so I ran around without one for a while heh heh. Didn't have money for a cowl induction hood.
The car still had a 3.08 ten bolt open rear end so with a 4 speed stick you can well imagine I had a traction problem, luck came around again a couple months later. A buddy found a wrecked '68 Camaro with a 396 4 speed but didn't have enough cash to buy it, he wanted the 396 4 speed out of it. Well it had a 3.90 geared 12 bolt posi that I wanted and an undamaged hood with an aftermarket scoop that I could use at least 'till I could afford a cowl hood so we pooled our money and went without beers for a couple weekends (heh heh) and bought it to part out. That's my back in the day story for now, I was just 21 years old and not making much money but I had a freaking fast car.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:56 AM
4th Gear Member

Oh by the way, my Dad's family was from Kentucky. He was born in Evansville Indiana but his Dad and grandma were from Kentucky.
My grand father Lloyd I never met, he's in a small rural cemetery south of Corinth in Kentucky.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...8/lloyd-parker

My great grandmother Sarah is buried in Bowling Green.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...ah-jane-parker
I've only been through Kentucky once driving a semi truck with no time to stop but I plan on taking some time there one day.
My grandfather divorced when my Dad was just 9 and dad with my grandmother came out to Oregon, that was 1919.
My Grandfather moved back to Kentucky and remarried I found after some research, my Dad passed on before he knew what became of his father so he never knew he had some younger half brothers in Kentucky. I found through research I have some relatives back there that don't no I exist, may have to try and contact them at some point. I'd love to have a picture of my Grandfather and maybe my great Grandmother. Hey maybe we're related! lmao

Old 09-18-2021, 04:06 PM
Default My first muscle car. 2014 Chevy Camaro SS 6.2 L V8

This will be my first sports car. I bought it as is and it has 34,000 miles on it. It came with a 8-in k&n cold air intake with heat shield, Avanti racing rims padded out with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 wide back narrow front tires. It also has a borla atak exhaust system. I'm looking for information on how to remove the governor or speed limiter from the setup. Right now it tops out at 131 mph. It can do that in 5th gear with plenty of RPM to spare. Not to mention it is a 6-speed standard. So thinking safety first am I running the best tires to exceed 150 mph? Eventually I would like to pull the engine out and put twin turbos on it and drop a 50 shot of NOS in. The overall goal is to do quarter mile drag race on a track here locally. Any advice I can get is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-19-2021, 12:37 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just a heads up, you posted in the 4th gen section (1993-2002).