Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 07:30 PM
4th Gear Member

an thats the thing we found it was not breathing right installer had a piece of plastic stuck in the carb with hose over it that went to the hole on the cover with nothing, not allowing it to breath right so it looked like i had one but did not ,why dont know ?? makes sence they both allow pressure to get out runs so much better with one though ,not burning oil anymore ,on the other note was a broken push rod ,thank god was all it was ,going to put new scorpion Aluminum rockers an push rods next spring ,an some tall cast Aluminum covers with teflon gaskets quick release harware ,about $500.00 but well worth it candy for the car may see about porting an polishing the heads for more hp being such torq monster to match the torq a bit more ,for now next week front shocks finaly getting those done just before the season is over ,they also make a rev limiter that does not break the bank for my msd ,for now no more redlineing it ,the engine doctor said

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-28-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:21 PM
4th Gear Member

ran it for a few days pulled the cover bent push rod ,so got a stuck valve ,going to replace the valves an check the head ,i want to make my top end stonger with the 194/1.5 valves i think are to small,so pulling the head for now to check for any other possible damage .plan for is to replace the valves rokers rods lifters with same for now drivers front side ,but i am thinking about rebuilding the heads ,or getting some desent aluminum ones,?? thoughts Ideas becouse i have strong bottom end ,i feel like its hard on my top end

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 09-06-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well if you are talking about a guide issue not rebuilding the heads is not really an option. Once you do anything to the guides you have to regrind the valve seats to match the new or remachined guide. If you are regrinding the seats you might as well regrind you valves and lap them into the newly ground seats. Bam heads rebuilt.

What heads are on it now? Any aftermarket head is going to flow better. You can get a set of upgraded vortec heads and they will flow almost as good as the aftermarket. The show engine masters used a crate 350, they installed a big cam and a set of upgraded Vortec heads. They saw a 140 hp gain. Their level two upgrade was going with aftermarket heads, The aftermarket heads on gave them 20 additional HP and they cost 3 times as much. They did say the heads may have done better on a stroker motor.

The next episode is not on youtube yet.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-08-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:13 PM
4th Gear Member

i am at 375hp an 450tlbs no dyno rated but was alot of talk that i got more ,but i am going back to what i bought an not what they said i got ,they had said i got 404 hp engine with 500tlbs an the mistake cost a guy his job honestly i think the guy did not make a mistake,i had bought this engine during there race week in august 2014,i lost my build sheet but i think i am lacking with gm stock heads with 194/1.5 valvs though i have a 600 lift ,that may be the way to go is the vortec heads ,or a desent set for like $700.00 already built the way i want ,i was told building these may cost as much or more ,but for now ,i will pull the head this week an make sure there is not other damage other then a stuck valve the video is very helpfull an will be when i pull the trigger next year ,for now i just want to drive it for a few more days this year thank you gorn awsome stuff

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 09-09-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:52 AM
4th Gear Member

had to cut the header out as the guy welded it in ,no big deal one coupler 2 clamps,the piston was fine the valve was only slightly bent puting all new parts in #1 cyl then my oil filter was bish to get off back to wix from K&N ,all new gaskets an cleaning it all up ,just waiting for the parts inner spring was broke. minumal damage,my buddie thinks it was a faulty part ,not an over rev,should be driveing again thursday ,i am learning alot about this engine though in the meen time

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 09-19-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:20 PM
4th Gear Member

got her up an running again ,broken inner spring seemed to fail,had to take out the distributor ,only problem was lineing it up to go back in ,so the talk about pulling the engine ,wont bee needed ,is good news about this car,going to drive it like gram now ,an put up for sale ,couse there is a guy that wants this car ,with all the hacks on new cars ,i read a story about my jeep,that they can acually get control of the car in alot of ways steering Ac you name it ,syber attacks on 2009 an newer cars will get bigger an people will get sick of it ,wich should make my 406 attracked to some an more people all the time,i have seen many adds Cl saying prefur a carbed car or truck,i want an ls1 car an be done with it ,an some guy that does all his own work will love this car

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 09-27-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:02 PM
4th Gear Member

the sb v8 engine still trumps all engines sales out there ,for replcement engines carbed ,its just time to see what i may get for mine ,about half of what i got in it, going to do a few other upgrades to the suspension so it will be all new ,that an a solid body ,i just want to get in an drive it now without issues ,though i could be at that point where the mods have got done right now that an drive it normal stop acting like i got a full blow race car hehhee ,will see this next year unless it sells first ,wont give it away ,will keep it first ,then sell it to offset the ls1 car i want one way or another near 12 years with it now i feel like its time to look for change efi,but every time i though that i kept it anyway ,but i have never put it up for sale just to see,next year will be 4 years with engine swap ,but very low miles on the engine

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 10-09-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:16 AM
4th Gear Member

come on spring i feel it early this year .no matter if my car is for sale ,i ,may sell it after 12 years with it now 2 engines 2 front ends alot of interest so many new parts,but just bad timeing with this nasty winter to sell ,if it dont sell right away .i am going to keep it for another year ,wont be in a hurry to sell but for the right amount,if i do a few more things to this car will be keeping it or holding out for 10k firm,i think it may be time for change,cant wait to get it out an drive it ,maybey right to the new owners home ,but will see that cost extra

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 01-19-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:13 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am not sure adding new parts to your car to make it more attractive to buyers is a good idea. You are going to have a real tuff time selling this car. In fact you may find parting it out is the best way to get the most money out of it. It seems crazy but your engine and transmission could sell for more than the car.

Selling any car is all about supply and demand. The demand for 4th gens is down, way down. Even when demand was at its highest converted cars sold for less then the sum of their parts. If you look back at some of my posts warning people about this conversion its because of the valve of what they have when its done. Right now it is a buyers market on 4th gens. Big dollar cars 3 years ago are not worth 1/2 what they where and mid level cars are worse. I was looking at a 5th gen and I took in my 2000 Z28 with 80K on it for trade in. They offered me $2400. He would not budge on that he said he does not sell old cars and that is all they are bringing at auction. He was not going by any book he was looking at auction results from the last week. He even showed them to me.

The problem with converted cars is simple. Its repairability, functionality and reliability all based on who built it and how good of a job they did. It could be a great car, it could be a rolling migraine. Most garages will not work on it and can't just order parts from the parts store without research. Just like there is no book on How to do a conversion there is no book on how to repair a conversion also. That scares a lot of people. This is not new, I have seen Vega V8 conversion that where factory like, and I have seen them so bad they where not safe to drive. Back in the Day you could buy a converted Vega for less then the parts to built one unless it was a known builder or a successful drag car.

I wish you all the luck, and who knows it only takes one buyer.

Last edited by Gorn; 01-20-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:15 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
I am not sure adding new parts to your car to make it more attractive to buyers is a good idea. You are going to have a real tuff time selling this car. In fact you may find parting it out is the best way to get the most money out of it.

I would have to agree here,I paid pretty much top dollar ($8000) for my '01 SS a little over a year ago with pretty darn low miles (86K) and all stock except for lowering springs,18" Z06 style wheels and a GMMG chambered exhaust.
The car was and is in beautiful shape inside and out, never smoked in, leather seats and all interior in perfect shape etc. Oh one other mod, an Alpine stereo with twin Rockford Fosgate amps.
The guy I bought it from was a flipper and paid $7000 at auction for it, people told him he was crazy for paying that much for it and he sat on it quite a while before coming down to $7999.99. I had been looking for a 4th gen '01 or '02 with a 6 speed manual in particular for 6 months when I found it so it took a specific buyer in this case me to sell it. I looked at a few others but all had too many flaws or more miles than I liked so I ponied up a little more money to buy this one, maybe I even paid too much but it was what I was looking for and in beautiful shape.
Good luck on yours,it's a nice car but I think Gorn I probably right.

Quick Reply: Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406