How to hook MP3 player directly to speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Default How to hook MP3 player directly to speakers?

Right now I have my stock CD player ghetto-rigged with a 3.5mm audio cable to listen to MP3s from my Galaxy Note II in my car. It basically splices into the cables inside the CD player that run to the speakers. So to listen to MP3s I have to have a music CD running in the player, and once I plug the phone into the jack, it essentially overrides the CD and plays through the speakers.
This is less than an ideal solution for several reasons. Namely the CD is still essentially playing in the background and my wiring isn't the greatest so if the cable shifts a bit, the input from the phone will cut out in one or all of the speakers and just play the CD. Or sometimes the input from the phone gets weak and you can hear the CD playing mixed up with the music from the phone.
All in all it sorta works but it's a really crappy ghetto solution. And it just looks ugly with the 3.5 jack coming out of the dashboard and tot he phone that's mounted on my windscreen.

I'd like to know how to eliminate the whole radio/CD headunit all together and wire my phone to play directly through the speakers like a giant set of headphones. I never listen to the radio or CDs so I would like to just throw out the headunit for some weight savings and make a custom mount for my phone where the head unit used to sit so it all looks clean and professional without any wires hanging out. And when the phone is mounted in the car it'll look like a modern touch screen entertainment center with all my GPS, music and phone all right there in the center console.

I figured out the mount, I just need help with the electronics and wiring since that's not really my forte. As I understand I need an amp to go between the phone and speakers.

Last edited by Nickel Plated; 03-03-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:54 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you will need a amp of some sort. have you looked at other head units that are comparable with your phone.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:35 PM

Would rather just stay away from head units all together. They all look gaudy and don't match the interior styling of the car. Then couple that with having to have the phone on a separate mount on my windshield or top of the dashboard with a cable running to it, the whole thing just looks like a mess cobbled together by a monkey on a $10 budget.
The whole idea is I want it to look clean and elegant, like it was all meant to be there. With as little extra junk as possible.

From the looks of it my car didn't come with the Monsoon system (it's a 98 V6) as it doesn't have the separate amp inside the trunk.
Do you know how many channels amp I would need for it? I'm thinking of just buying the stock monsoon 8-channel amp that came with the cars as that would most certainly work and is set up to be bolted right into the trunk. Plus it's pretty cheap. And if I ever want to upgrade the cars audio in the future (that's pretty far down my to-do list behind a lot of other expensive things) I'd likely just upgrade it to the Monsoon system that originally came with them. I'm not an audiophile so the stock Monsoon would be plenty good enough for me.

Last edited by Nickel Plated; 03-03-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:45 AM

Just found out about the Parrot Asteroid Smart. This headunit looks like just the thing I needed.
$500 though, plus $140 for a custom double din bezel........Guess I should start savin' up.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

just get the radio with the cassette tape player then get one of those cassette tapes that have the jack so you hook your phone up to it. your radio works for both CD radios and the cassette tape radios. autozone has the adaptors to have your phone play through the cassette tape player.