Dash warning lights stay on after key is turned off?? - Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Old 07-11-2018, 05:21 AM

Default Dash warning lights stay on after key is turned off??

97 Camaro v6 auto. You turn the key off the dash lights stay on check engine, and, low oil, air bag light etc. Turn the key ON same lights are on but get slightly brighter..
Old 07-11-2018, 09:50 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

well thats a strange one. try unhooking the battery cables, both. hold them together for ten or so seconds and hook back up. this should reset all your systems. see what that does.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:55 PM

My new to me 67 has a similar issue. Lead to a couple of dead batteries. Turns out the ignition switch could be turned to the left past 'OFF' into the accessory position and still allow the key to be removed. Now I know to make sure the key/ignition switch is truly off (12:00 position) when I remove the key.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLowe View Post
My new to me 67 has a similar issue. Lead to a couple of dead batteries. Turns out the ignition switch could be turned to the left past 'OFF' into the accessory position and still allow the key to be removed. Now I know to make sure the key/ignition switch is truly off (12:00 position) when I remove the key.
Nope it's in true off. I even pulled the ignition fuse and it only shut off the check engine light. This is with the Key out in true OFF POS..
Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

its in a non fused function. possibly bcm (body control module or rap (retained accessory power)
Old 07-12-2018, 11:33 AM
1st Gear Member

The lights you reference are powered from IP fuse #9 which are controlled by the ignition switch in the run, on and start positions. The key switch does not contain these electrical contacts, they are located at the base of the column and activated by a rod from the key switch. If the electrical switch at the base of the column is damaged or out of adjustment, this could cause the problem you describe. I would try manually moving the switch to see if the lights go off. If it does, adjust or replace the switch.

Also, if you unplugged the connector at the ignition switch and the lights go off, this should pin point the problem within the switch.

Last edited by peterpar; 07-12-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

The attached file contains the schematics from the 1997 Camaro Service Manual that may help with troubleshooting your dash lights.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1997 Gauge Lights.pdf (3.20 MB, 2 views)
Old 07-13-2018, 04:05 PM

Ok also now the security light is on after pulling the fuse and now the interior lights are all on and won't turn off.. 😤
Old 07-13-2018, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

The upper fuse on left is IP fuse #9 for the gage lights and the lower fuse to the right is #13, the PCM ignition. The fuses you have circled has one end of the fuse directly above the other. These terminals have a jumper bar behind them that is powered by a pink wire from the ignition switch. Pull these fuses and with the key off, check between either of these two terminals and a body ground to see if voltage is present. There should be no voltage present and if you do have voltage, check the pink wire back to the ignition switch to make sure it hasn't come into contact with a power source. If you can't find any damage to the wire, unplug the connector with the pink wire from the ignition switch. Does this de-energize the terminal? If it does, the problem should be internal to the switch and it will have to be replaced.

IP fuse #9 also provides powers to the BCM, so the security and interior lights staying on may be tied to the contacts in the switch not disconnecting when the key switch is in the off position. See if correcting the above problem doesn't solve this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1997 IP Fuse Block.pdf (841.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by peterpar; 07-13-2018 at 06:12 PM.