upgrade 2002 base

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 12:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i was getting vibration with stock trans mount, way worse with poly. with the engine built up i changed to the tunnel mount torque bar to avoid braking the trans mount. being i was getting the torque bar anyways i decided to go with the adjustable. this gave me the ability to adjust and i did finding i could minimize the vibration adjusting the angle. the new motor mounts helped, raised the front of the engine about a half inch again changing the drive train alignment. it could have also raised it away from a metal to metal connection in the mount. theres a metal tab inside the rubber in the mount to stop it from going to far if it breaks. the sagging i believe let the metal parts get to close. first i would pick up a stock trans mount and install. they are cheap like 12 bucks. see how that works. then while your doing that check for lose u joints and lose pinion bearing. then look at the torque bar mount and make sure its tight not moving around in the rubber.

Last edited by craby; 06-22-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:14 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

When I had a 96, I tore the stock trans mount and replaced it with a poly. The vibrations were minimal, and I didn't get "NOISE". You may want to find what's causing the noise/vibrations that is now more evident with the poly mount, as it could be related to pinion angle like craby had. Or it could be bad u-joints with chatter marks on the bearing surface, which would also be a source of vibrations.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok, that sucks, as the adjustable torque arm is pricy. Everything else checked out when I looked for the "clunk" culprit, and when the car was getting the mount replaced. I was concerned about angle at the time.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

Stay away from poly trans mounts, too much NVH. I also shied away from poly motor mounts for similar reasons and did new OEM ones, but some guys have much less issues there contrasted with the poly trans mounts.

Originally Posted by speedemon
Update;

Energy trans mount (NOISE!), strut brace and subframe connectors in. Feels like a massage chair now! The feel is mild and not objectionable, but its L O U D. Has anyone experimented with dampening to compensate for the polyurethane trans mount? Looking for some grommets for the seat, and maybe a pad for the floor pan. SS Sway bars with Energy bushings coming next!

Have fun!

Old 06-24-2015, 02:19 PM
Overdrive Member

Actually, the base 2002 has a one piece steel driveshaft stock.

Originally Posted by Gorn
You driveshaft has a center bearing and weighs like 40lbs. The aluminum one weighs like 5lbs.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:27 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

Note there is a distinction between Traction Control Camaros (old style) and ASR (Acceleration Slip Regulation) Camaros like my 2002 RS. The older style supposedly have 6 flex brake lines where the newer ASR ones have the same 5 lines like the non ASR Camaros! Many aftermarket parts companies get this screwed up, as was the case with Goodridge's stainless steel brake line kit.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
^^X2, Traction control rears have a wheel speed sensor at each axle end, Non-traction control has a single wheel speed sensor on the top of the pumpkin.

Haven't seen to many SS car without Traction Control.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:33 PM
Overdrive Member
BMR & Hotchkis both make a V6 compatible shock tower brace.

PSadly, the QA1 tower brace is for LS1 only, and I didn't know until I got home. No matter, there is a V6 car with lots of upgrades being parted near friend, and it has the BMR one.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hi Liberty,

Yes, the stock one is silent, but broke after 2 months of driving the car. Not sure how many owners ahead of me, but 66k mi when I got it. I do a lot of street driving and like to get on it at lights and merge the fwy at 65 instead of 30 like everyone else in my area. I figured the poly mount would save me a couple replacements a year.

I grabbed a strut brace, bolt in sub connects and V8 sway bars (put poly here, rides great) for cheap from parts cars, and they seem to be working well.

There are lots of SS parts cars here (I am in a suburb of Los Angeles) so I am looking at a rear end swap, but the gas/road mileage is a concern. I can get the alum shaft for cheap, but not looking to do that, and trying to talk myself in or out of springs and larger wheels.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2015, 07:54 PM
Overdrive Member

Personally, I would get rid of the poly trans mount. You can switch from the OEM V6 to OEM V8 trans mount if you want by changing the trans cross brace, read through the thread:

https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...nfusion-78294/

If you have stock orange DeCarbon/Delphi shocks, you should be looking at upgrading them, either Koni Str.T or Bilsteins are the good but inexpensive options.

Note that an SS front sway is bigger than a base Z28 front sway bar.

Rear '02 V6 springs are the same as V8 in 98-02, the front ones can be upgraded to V8 ones however for better handling.

Swap in Moog rear LCA bushings (same as 1LE versions) for better planting.

Hi Liberty,

Yes, the stock one is silent, but broke after 2 months of driving the car. Not sure how many owners ahead of me, but 66k mi when I got it. I do a lot of street driving and like to get on it at lights and merge the fwy at 65 instead of 30 like everyone else in my area. I figured the poly mount would save me a couple replacements a year.

I grabbed a strut brace, bolt in sub connects and V8 sway bars (put poly here, rides great) for cheap from parts cars, and they seem to be working well.

There are lots of SS parts cars here (I am in a suburb of Los Angeles) so I am looking at a rear end swap, but the gas/road mileage is a concern. I can get the alum shaft for cheap, but not looking to do that, and trying to talk myself in or out of springs and larger wheels.

Thanks!

Old 06-25-2015, 09:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes,

I put in KYBs before I came here and found out about Strano and that I could afford Konis.

How long has the OEM V8 mount lasted you?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: upgrade 2002 base