turbo charge LS1

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: turbo charge LS1

ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

ORIGINAL: ninetysixyenko

yea, that's why i said a s/c for street use. smaller pulley, lower boost, less strain on engine for DD. for a strip only car, use a big *** turbo, and turbos are more efficent. less loss, which a strip only car would be looking for. you could always turbo a street car though. dont get me wrong there. but also, a turbo is alot more simplicity for instalation, for a DD car.
For stip only use I'd go with a S/C hands down. An Eaton S/C produces boost off the line like a twin skrew type blower, but also spools like a Vortech or other turbine style supercharger. Look at the fastest accelerating vehicle on the planet, do they use turbos or S/C...

Now don't get me wrong, a turbo can be great for a street/strip car, but overall Specter has the right idea, to run any good amount of boost and to truly benefit from the turbo you need to run lower compression etc. Expensive to do it right...
Wow, now I have to start quoting myself to defend myself...[&o]

Let me break it down for you what I'm trying to say here...
From the quoted post by ninetysixyenko: "that's why i said a s/c for street use." as well as "for a strip only car, use a big *** turbo"

I was simply trying to say that I would go the other way around, for a strip only car go S/C for a street/strip car go for a turbo. Just like Specter said, the lag that you get from a turbo can be to your benefit on the street for normal driving conditions. And the 1000 HP being wimpy was sarcastic, like, humor...plus, I still think that 1000 HP is quite weak in comparison to 8000, but take from that what you will.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:07 PM
2nd Gear member

heads/cam/spray

Old 02-14-2008, 06:23 PM
4th Gear Member

Man import you get way too up tight about stuff... But turbos arent THAT bad, but they can cause engine problems like mentioned before, expect to repair stuff... alot.. Those cars on the drag strip every weekendwith turbos are always in the shop during the week.. i stand by superchargers for street/strip use. If you want to go on the twisties then a turbo would be a great idea but in drag races its all about off the line speed.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

Man import you get way too up tight about stuff... But turbos arent THAT bad, but they can cause engine problems like mentioned before, expect to repair stuff... alot.. Those cars on the drag strip every weekendwith turbos are always in the shop during the week.. i stand by superchargers for street/strip use. If you want to go on the twisties then a turbo would be a great idea but in drag races its all about off the line speed.
instead of chewing u out, i just want u to go through your post and answer: "why?"

Old 02-14-2008, 07:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

im not up tight, this guy wants to turbo his car, so he asks about turbo setups. So you guys go off about s/c. He didnt ask which is better, or what you think about turbos. and then talk about 8000 almighty horsepower that has to be rebuilt after each run, maybe thats why street cars run a weak 1000hp so they can be used more than once. Still no one has asked this guy who started this thread what he wants to do with his car or what his budget is.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:18 PM

For the daily driving they do make a boost controller.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Ninja Administrator

Spartan66

titleAndStar(1320,0,0,false,",")

[align=center][/align]
Score: 0
turbos[:'(]If your gonna drag race it then go with a supercharger.
this was the post that started that talk.

Now here was my post to the OP, which addresses the questions about turboing an LS1
ok, now to the OP, the ls1 is not designed to handle boost. it has a very high compression ratio from the factory. this is more inducive to nitrous and NA performance.
if you are dead set on turbo (which i will do some day when I actually have a real job, so dont let these guys discourage you) you will want to get pretty much a completely new motor made. you will be replacing about all of the components anyways (to do it right) might as well have a drop in engine assembled. you want forged internals, low compression about 8.5:1. This is really the only way I would turbo an ls1 (or really LSX at this point, that is probably the block id go with)
Whether SC or turbo, TT, bi, whatever, the ls1 is not a boost conducive motor. This is all the OP needed to know. if he wants to boost his car, it would b best for him to lower the compression, otherwise he can boost about 6psi and waste his time and money when he gets his *** kicked by a cam only car.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:51 PM

The budget is not the issue. Me and my cousin who is a master tech at firestone and had a turbo firehawk will be doing all the work. I personally like the turbo better because it will be a race track car and weeknights. The lag doesn't bother me because it all depends on the turbo on how bad it is.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Ninja Administrator

if money isnt an issue then build a low compression motor. Thats all the advice i can give u

Old 02-14-2008, 08:51 PM
4th Gear Member

dun listen ta specter. he dun know what he talk bout.

IMO, if money isn't a issue, build a low compression motor, and boost it.

Quick Reply: turbo charge LS1