turbo charge LS1

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 05:53 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: turbo charge LS1

Wow some of you people are really ignorant about turbos. Some of the best and fastest street cars are running turbos. A well set up turbo will be very streetable and fast at the track.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Dont call me out, theres nothing wrong with sts kits, 548 whp @ 8 psi is a little more than .3 off your 1/4. http://www.ststurbo.com/camaro_ls1

He was asking for ideas, i gave one.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:05 PM
4th Gear Member

the only problem with the STS is it is alot of lag. but other than that, a great looking kit.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: ninetysixyenko

yea, that's why i said a s/c for street use. smaller pulley, lower boost, less strain on engine for DD. for a strip only car, use a big *** turbo, and turbos are more efficent. less loss, which a strip only car would be looking for. you could always turbo a street car though. dont get me wrong there. but also, a turbo is alot more simplicity for instalation, for a DD car.
For stip only use I'd go with a S/C hands down. An Eaton S/C produces boost off the line like a twin skrew type blower, but also spools like a Vortech or other turbine style supercharger. Look at the fastest accelerating vehicle on the planet, do they use turbos or S/C...

Now don't get me wrong, a turbo can be great for a street/strip car, but overall Specter has the right idea, to run any good amount of boost and to truly benefit from the turbo you need to run lower compression etc. Expensive to do it right...

Old 02-13-2008, 08:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

Veyron is quad turbo, i think we need to asked two things, whats your budget, and what are you going to use it for. as far as building boost at a stand still you can run antilag, or if its a auto, just brake boost. I dont know much about the difffrent classes in pro drag racing, but when i watch the full bodied cars (not funny cars) the mustangs and camaros seem to be turbocharged.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:15 PM
4th Gear Member

yea. i always see turbos too, the s/c is great for no lag, and lower Tq curve cars, but like importmd said, you can brake boost and what not.

i have noticed though, that after about 2500HP, they no longer use turbos, they use s/cs. something about turbo's acting funny in the way upper HP numbers. or so i've heard.. i'd still use a s/c for a street car though.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: importmd

Veyron is quad turbo, i think we need to asked two things, whats your budget, and what are you going to use it for. as far as building boost at a stand still you can run antilag, or if its a auto, just brake boost. I dont know much about the difffrent classes in pro drag racing, but when i watch the full bodied cars (not funny cars) the mustangs and camaros seem to be turbocharged.
I didn't say fastest production car, I just said fastest accelerating vehicle on the planet that is strip only, which would be the Top Fuel Dragster, which obviously run S/C not turbo...and make around 8000 HP, not a little wimpy 1000 hp like the Veyron. Plus, the Veyron isn't the fastest production car anymore anyway, the Shelby Aero Twin Turbo or what ever it's called is.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: importmd

Dont call me out, theres nothing wrong with sts kits, 548 whp @ 8 psi is a little more than .3 off your 1/4. http://www.ststurbo.com/camaro_ls1

He was asking for ideas, i gave one.
I was actually the nicest to u because you gave sound advice. I would just steer away from the STS kids personally.

and yenko, the point i was trying to make is that there is no difference in streetability between the systems. i mentioned the boost thing because alot of guys will overboost their turbos because it doesnt take any parts to do so, but thats operator error, not the systems fault. Truth be told, the fastest cars in existance run superchargers. For street I would personally do turbo just because lag is street friendly. all of the performance shortcomings you can think of can actually offset the imperfections of running on the street.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:21 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

Wow some of you people are really ignorant about turbos. Some of the best and fastest street cars are running turbos. A well set up turbo will be very streetable and fast at the track.
Theres nothing wrong with turbos..if you are your own mechanic or have the money to get them tuned, repaired, and taken care of. That stuff gets complicated.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

Last time i checked we were talking about street cars, not top fuel drag cars. A 1000hp is whimpy? and to just listed the two fastest street cars in the world, both running multi turbo setups. You guys missed the boat again, the guy wanted to know about turbo setups.

Quick Reply: turbo charge LS1