turbo charge LS1

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008 | 04:22 PM
|
Default turbo charge LS1

I am going to buy a LS1 camaro and turbo charge it. i was wondering if anyone here has and if so do you know what year is the best as in has the best components to go along with putting the turbo on? Also what brand of turbo did you use along with size? i am looking for hp numbers to be between 550 and 600. i have just started looking a little and wanted some previous experienced advice. thank you.

Old 02-13-2008 | 04:28 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: turbo charge LS1

first, if you want to "turbo"...... get rid of the ls1 and drop in a v-tech. now if you want to make thay ls1 move, spray it or supercharge it.

Old 02-13-2008 | 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Or better yet, bore and stroke, go all motor and stomp on the little ricer boi's with their blow-off valves and turbos.

Old 02-13-2008 | 04:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

www.ststurbo.com

Old 02-13-2008 | 05:17 PM
4th Gear Member
Old 02-13-2008 | 05:24 PM
4th Gear Member

turbos[:'(]If your gonna drag race it then go with a supercharger.

Old 02-13-2008 | 05:29 PM
4th Gear Member

you guys... i would take a supercharger for street use, for track only car.. deffently turbo.. and the "superchargers" arent really super chargers, it's a pulley powered turbine

Old 02-13-2008 | 05:30 PM
4th Gear Member

but i would MUCH prefer to use a n/a build. Cams/Heads LS1 can run a low 11, add some N2O and your in the 10s. of corse, with supporting mods and DRs, and great rear end too.

Old 02-13-2008 | 05:39 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: bluovlh8er

first, if you want to "turbo"...... get rid of the ls1 and drop in a v-tech. now if you want to make thay ls1 move, spray it or supercharge it.
why would a supercharger be any different than a turbo?
when it comes to forced induction alot of people (including members here) seem to draw lines and classifications that dont exist.

boost is boost is boost ovulator, i dont care how its getting into the engine. There are differences in the behavior of each system, but your intake manifold doesnt know about this.

a turbo and SC are no more or less streetable than each other there yenko, it all depends on the tuning. the only difference with turbo's is you can more easily increase the boost, bc SCs require a pulley swap.

importmd, the sts turbo kits are..... not really the way to go. Anyone can slap a turbo on any motor and have a car thats .3 seconds faster and makes a cool "pfffft" noise, but i think were talking performance here.

Spartan, some of the fastest streetable cars on tech are single frontmount turbo cars. very streetable, but these guys have 9 second slips.

ok, now to the OP, the ls1 is not designed to handle boost. it has a very high compression ratio from the factory. this is more inducive to nitrous and NA performance.
if you are dead set on turbo (which i will do some day when I actually have a real job, so dont let these guys discourage you) you will want to get pretty much a completely new motor made. you will be replacing about all of the components anyways (to do it right) might as well have a drop in engine assembled. you want forged internals, low compression about 8.5:1. This is really the only way I would turbo an ls1 (or really LSX at this point, that is probably the block id go with)

Old 02-13-2008 | 05:43 PM
4th Gear Member

yea, that's why i said a s/c for street use. smaller pulley, lower boost, less strain on engine for DD. for a strip only car, use a big *** turbo, and turbos are more efficent. less loss, which a strip only car would be looking for. you could always turbo a street car though. dont get me wrong there. but also, a turbo is alot more simplicity for instalation, for a DD car.

Quick Reply: turbo charge LS1