Stupid question but need advice on oil and filter!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by craby
before we get to far into this, are we off topic??? lol. 93 3.4 probly is not a good year and engine to start a project with. 3.4 has not been made for quite some time now so low mile used are almost impossible to find. a 93 is in many ways a one year car, lots of parts that were made only one year and lots for only two. not easy to find. with that said we need to see what it is your asking about,,,, pictures please.

Actually that's why I'm here asking for suggestions.. I've heard that before about the engine, but not about the parts. Wow that sucks. So then what year in the 4th generation would be better, but before 98? Oh and I'll post some pics tomorrow for ya.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:04 AM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
If they think that's a poor project car, then they've never actually done one themselves. It's called a project car for a reason. But, I do some what agree with Craby on this.

IF this is your only car, depending on how bad the exterior, engine, and interior are,I wouldn't really deal with it, so pics would be extremely helpful. But....

If you have a second car, garage, time, money, and knowledge (or know someone with car knowledge) you could put it up on stands, tear it down, and build it to what you want. Be warned though, this path can be hard and frustrating at times, and the car will never be worth what you put into it, and may takes years before you could drive again, but in the end it can be something you can be proud of.

Well unfortunately that pretty much answers my questions then I think Exterior is in pretty bad condition, 1 small dent, 1 medium dent, both in driver's side rear quarter panel, other than that it's fine but all primered down and broken windshield and screwed up winshield wipers. Interior is TORN UP in absolute HORRIBLE condition, damn near stripped! lmao. No noticeable problem with engine yet, but it's only the 3.4L V6. Will post pics tomorrow. I definitely don't have a second car or a garage or any of that really This sucks!!

Old 03-30-2013, 01:07 AM
Question

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Since he brought the car in to look over the basics, I'm sure they are figuring he's gonna need to pay for all the work to be done. A project car with him doing the work is one thing, to pay to get it all done will put him way upside down to the car's value, which would be why the garage is recommending what they are.

I'm not sure I follow ya, sorry... What do you mean 'put him upside down to the car's value'?

Old 03-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Have way more invested in the car than it's worth, or what you could get back out of it.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:19 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

96 or 97, v6 would be the 3.8, still easy to find, ecu would be the obd2, easier to work with. 97 has the 98 up interior which i do like. i seen a 96 3.8 here with a blown motor for 1500, in good shape in and out. contacted but it sold fast. would have made a nice ride for long drives and i could have turned it over and got money back, that is with me doing all the work.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimer93
Actually that's why I'm here asking for suggestions.. I've heard that before about the engine, but not about the parts. Wow that sucks. So then what year in the 4th generation would be better, but before 98? Oh and I'll post some pics tomorrow for ya.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:31 PM

Oh ok I see.. Honestly I'm starting to think having a 4th gen Camaro as a first project car with limited funds might have been biting off a little more than I can chew.. Starting to think for a beginner 3rd gen might be the way to go and then when I'm done with that maybe trade up.. There's an Iroc-Z not too too far from me that I'm figuring is ALWAYS worth working on right?? Tell me what you guys think of this... 1986 camaro irocz
I texted the owner already who said the engine is a 305 but it's junk (in the post he said a rod bearing went) and about 130k on it with a 700r4 tranny. Thoughts and opinions??? I'm thinking buy this one, sell the one I have, drop a new motor in the Iroc and go from there? Maybe after I build up the Iroc a bit, I can sell that and get a better 4th gen..

Old 03-30-2013, 07:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

A 3rd gen won't be any easier really, and the 305 is a turd even after you throw money at it. A decent LT1 4th gen can be had pretty cheap, and those are well worth putting the money into.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:05 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you can throw a 350 in a 3rd gen. not a big deal like changin engine size in a 4th gen. i like the 91-92. nice and light.

Last edited by craby; 03-30-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
A 3rd gen won't be any easier really, and the 305 is a turd even after you throw money at it. A decent LT1 4th gen can be had pretty cheap, and those are well worth putting the money into.

Really? My dad and mechanic friends always said a carburated car was MUCH easier to work on than the fuel injected. But anyways, what do you think about the 350? I know for a fact I can get one cheap if I need and heard it's the best motor, but honestly am a little worried about gas lol whoa.. Also what's the LT1 and where can you get any 4th gen cheap lol because definitely not near me that I know of

Old 04-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by craby
you can throw a 350 in a 3rd gen. not a big deal like changin engine size in a 4th gen. i like the 91-92. nice and light.

That's what I was thinking.. And good tip on the 91-92, didn't know that.. There's a 92 RS near me somewhere I saw on CL.. Maybe.. Why does no one seem impressed with the IROCS here???? lol I thought those were a big deal.. ?

Quick Reply: Stupid question but need advice on oil and filter!