Stupid question but need advice on oil and filter!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:47 PM
4th Gear Member

PureOne is made by Purolator, who also happens to make MotorCrafts filters. I'm doing write up on oil that'll post in the lounge to give people a better understanding. API designation will be a little starburst symbol looking thing. Should say API service SL (or SM), then have viscosity rating in the middle. Bottom right corner on the backside if I remember correctly.

I never personally used a Bosch as we (Advance Auto) stopped carrying them before I got a chance to buy one, but a friend always used it on his LS1 SS.

Use SeaFoam to clean the oil. Lucas to help stabilize it a little. Either or for gas. Both are good at that.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:30 AM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
PureOne is made by Purolator, who also happens to make MotorCrafts filters. I'm doing write up on oil that'll post in the lounge to give people a better understanding. API designation will be a little starburst symbol looking thing. Should say API service SL (or SM), then have viscosity rating in the middle. Bottom right corner on the backside if I remember correctly.

I never personally used a Bosch as we (Advance Auto) stopped carrying them before I got a chance to buy one, but a friend always used it on his LS1 SS.

Use SeaFoam to clean the oil. Lucas to help stabilize it a little. Either or for gas. Both are good at that.

Motorcraft... Isn't that a Ford thing? I could be way off there.. LOL You work at Advance, I used to work at Auto Zone, go figure :P You still there? Not a bad job, it was cool. Anyway I'll keep a lookout for that API thing and hey really good Seafoam/Lucas tip thanks, I think I'm gonna try that. Get the oil change, bring it home, run the seafoam, do my own oil change with better oil and filter and add lucas.. Sound about right?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:34 AM
4th Gear Member

It is a Ford thing. Purolator makes it, but to Ford's specs.

Still working there. I work at two stores though, my hometown when I'm on breaks, and the one near college during school. I honestly enjoy going to work because I might get one A-hole customer once a month, if that. Plus, coming from working at Wendys for two years with no raise, to a job that started me out above minimum and gets annual raises, couldn't beat it.

Sounds like what'd I'd do. Which Lucas were you looking at putting in?

Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Thumbs up

It is a Ford thing. Purolator makes it, but to Ford's specs.

Still working there. I work at two stores though, my hometown when I'm on breaks, and the one near college during school. I honestly enjoy going to work because I might get one A-hole customer once a month, if that. Plus, coming from working at Wendys for two years with no raise, to a job that started me out above minimum and gets annual raises, couldn't beat it.

Sounds like what'd I'd do. Which Lucas were you looking at putting in?

No offense but I'm not sure I wanna put Ford parts on my Chevy.. Yes I know that sounds stupid lol, just a personal preference. As far as your job goes, yeah I hear that lol I worked for Wendy's a while back as well, hated that but never really hated Auto Zone too much, just management for the most part lol, and we definitely didn't get any annual raises, so you're very lucky! Not too shabby Oh and about the Lucas, I'm not sure really, haven't thought quite that far ahead yet, figured I'd cross that bridge when I got there... But when I had a Blazer, I bought it used as well, and after I had it for awhile and knew how it ran, I did an oil change myself and ran some kind of Motor Gunk or something like that (a motor flush I guess) and when I filled the oil back up I put in the Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer... Any opinions on that? Bad idea? Also wondering about that flush, is that basically the same as the SeaFoam cleaner or which is better, a flush or a cleaner??

Old 03-28-2013, 04:44 PM
4th Gear Member

Buying Purolator doesn't mean you're putting Ford parts on. Purolator makes several filters...Purolator PureOne, Classic, and Synthetic, as well as making Fords "Motorcraft" branded filters. The PureOne is on par with Fram Ultras while the Synthetic is up with K&N and Mobil 1.

I was just curious if we were talking about the Lucas you put in the oil or the Lucas you put in the fuel...but now I see we're talking about Lucas's oil stabilizer. Never used it personally, but we have a few racing shops that buy it by the case. I've never used the Gunk stuff so hopefully someone who has can yay or nah it.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Buying Purolator doesn't mean you're putting Ford parts on. Purolator makes several filters...Purolator PureOne, Classic, and Synthetic, as well as making Fords "Motorcraft" branded filters. The PureOne is on par with Fram Ultras while the Synthetic is up with K&N and Mobil 1.

I was just curious if we were talking about the Lucas you put in the oil or the Lucas you put in the fuel...but now I see we're talking about Lucas's oil stabilizer. Never used it personally, but we have a few racing shops that buy it by the case. I've never used the Gunk stuff so hopefully someone who has can yay or nah it.

Ohh ok I see what you're saying now about Purolator, sorry. Maybe I'll have to look around for those, the Synthetic one preferably, but like I said before I don't recall seeing that brand name anywhere other than Motorcraft. Anyway... Yeah I was talking about the Lucas you put in the oil lol. I know the fuel stuff is really good but don't know too much about the oil stabilizer even though I used it once. The Gunk stuff I wasn't planning on using on this car because I think it might really mess some stuff up in there on this one, it's pretty beat lol.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Exclamation Update!!!

Ok so here goes...
Took the car to the garage today for that oil change and winter inspection. They seemed really nice but honest, didn't feel like I was being scammed at all actually. Before I brought it in I gave them a heads up that it was a project car and there was alot of things wrong with it I already knew about so don't be surprized, but that my main concern was the belt and hose inspections that were offered. When I went to pick it up, they said they went all through it but didn't bother with the belts and hoses because my car is in such bad shape. The guy said my upper control arms are loose and the wheel moves around too much causing my car to be unsafe to drive. I asked his opinion, he didn't seem to think it was worth being a project car. Here is the labor description list they printed for me....

SAFETY INSPECTION- INSPECT BRAKES, BELTS, HOSES, STEERING AND SUSPENSION
COMPONENTS, INSPECT AXLE SHAFT BOOTS, CHECK ALL FUEL AND BRAKE LINES, CHECK
PARK BRAKE OPERATION, CHECK HORN OPERATION, CHECK SEAT ELTS,
CHECK
LIGHTS,TIRES,WIPERS,LIGHTS,ROAD TEST VEHICLE, WIPERS ARE INOP, WINDSHIELD
CRACKED, PULLS TO THE RIGHT, POSSIBLE GAS
LEAK, HIGH BEAM LIGHTS DO NOT WORK, LEFT FRONT TURN SIGNAL MISSING, LEFT AND
RIGHT UPPER CONTROL ARM ARE LOOSE, VEHICLE HAS
NOT CATALYST CONVERTERS, VEHICLE HAS DIFFERENT TIRES ON IT
VEHICLE IS UNSAFE FOR THE ROAD

The funny thing is they are basing the "possible fuel leak" on the idea that one of the guys really smelled alot of gas fumes at the rear end of my car. They also were supposed to fill my antifreeze which they did not lol but no big deal. Like I said, I didn't get the feeling I was being scammed, I got the feeling they couldn't waste their time with my project car. The guy up front told me I was better off getting rid of it ... I'm a little worried they might be right, SUGGESTIONS??????????

Old 03-29-2013, 08:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

before we get to far into this, are we off topic??? lol. 93 3.4 probly is not a good year and engine to start a project with. 3.4 has not been made for quite some time now so low mile used are almost impossible to find. a 93 is in many ways a one year car, lots of parts that were made only one year and lots for only two. not easy to find. with that said we need to see what it is your asking about,,,, pictures please.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:12 PM
4th Gear Member

If they think that's a poor project car, then they've never actually done one themselves. It's called a project car for a reason. But, I do some what agree with Craby on this.

IF this is your only car, depending on how bad the exterior, engine, and interior are,I wouldn't really deal with it, so pics would be extremely helpful. But....

If you have a second car, garage, time, money, and knowledge (or know someone with car knowledge) you could put it up on stands, tear it down, and build it to what you want. Be warned though, this path can be hard and frustrating at times, and the car will never be worth what you put into it, and may takes years before you could drive again, but in the end it can be something you can be proud of.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:38 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Since he brought the car in to look over the basics, I'm sure they are figuring he's gonna need to pay for all the work to be done. A project car with him doing the work is one thing, to pay to get it all done will put him way upside down to the car's value, which would be why the garage is recommending what they are.

Quick Reply: Stupid question but need advice on oil and filter!