Something is seriously wrong with my car.. and it has to do with a warning light on my guages

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:51 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Something is seriously wrong with my car.. and it has to do with a warning light on my guages

Sounds likethe tranny is on the way out to me- I would flush the fluid, change thefilter, put fresh fluid in (only up to the correct line- do not overfill), and see if that improves the shifting characteristics at all.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: Something is seriously wrong with my car.. and it has to do with a warning light on my guages

You did check to make sure your buddies didn't tie a boat anchor to the back of your car didn't you? You need to start ruling things out. I would try jacking the rear wheels off the ground, put trans in neutral, and give the wheels a spin to see if you feel any resistance. Is the diff going bad, the wheel bearings fried and dragging, or is the emergency brake locking up?

Old 11-19-2007, 03:04 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

Also one more thing i noticed, going up hill at 40mph i feel a jerking, like my car is dragging *** trying to get up the hill. I make it, and i can accelerate up the hill, but it just feels like the rear end is jerking up the hill...
I have the same problem. Its like jerking/vibration going through the whole car seemingly starting from the rear. I get it the most when sharply accelerating in first or second gear at roughly 3k-4k RPM. I don't think its the engine since I dont get it when revving it up in neutral, and I've already had my wheels checked out. So I am suspecting its either the rear end or transmission now. I will have it checked out by amechanic after thanksgiving.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:29 PM
4th Gear Member

Ok... weirdest **** ever... i dunno if this has anything to do with it but i put in like 3 gallons of 89 octane gas and its running PERFECT, its got power in the shifts... no red light.. Ill still have it checked out but its just weird that it isnt a constant problem only off and on.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

HOLY **** BATMAN! After taking your car all apart, we never thought of the obvious. Your problem started right AFTER you got gas. I'll bet you got some bad gas at that station! The new stuff you just put in is helping out the old. Just in case the other gas had some water in it, I would put a bottle of heet in the tank to absorb any water/moisture you may have. Did you happen to notice if the fuel tanker was there when you got gas too? At older stations, I try to avoid getting gas where the tanker is filling the in-ground tanks because sediment in the tanks can get stirred up and pumped into your car. Or, it's not possible that you accidentally put diesel in it last time, is it...also making your exhaust smell weird?

Old 11-19-2007, 11:01 PM
4th Gear Member

Well, my grandparents were truckers and i went on many a trips with them... so i know the smell of diesel, and im not that stupid lol. But i had gotten gas from a pretty shady 76 station that i dont usually get gas from a couple times. The station i got the 89 octane from was right off the freeway and very busy.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:22 PM
4th Gear Member

i always use this one mobile/mobil, however it's spelt in my car(s) they replace filter every week, it is a ground tank(but all stations are here) and it's usually fairly cheap too, and mobil's some of best gas.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:35 PM
4th Gear Member

Yeah, im gonna start using 89 octane as much as possible and see how things go.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:23 PM
4th Gear Member

arent ya s'pose to use 92/93 in a z28?

Old 11-20-2007, 05:34 PM
4th Gear Member

Premium yeah... cant afford alot of that when i need alot of gas.

Quick Reply: Something is seriously wrong with my car.. and it has to do with a warning light on my guages