Something is seriously wrong with my car.. and it has to do with a warning light on my guages

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:29 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Something is seriously wrong with my car.. and it has to do with a warning light on my guages

and if it's ur engine cooling light. means bad engine coolant sensor? lol

Old 11-18-2007, 01:42 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Something is seriously wrong with my car.. and it has to do with a warning light on my guages

I had a feeling it was electrical and not damage to a part.. I mean ive got all kinds of problems like that, air sensory being my biggest problem with the hole in my intake. anyway so you think its engine coolant sensor? If its a sensor it should show up on an ecu scan correct?

Old 11-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Hey Spartan, maybe you should put a V-6 in it? But seriously, some of the other engine sensors have a correlation with yourtemp sensor. I suppose it's possible that your computer could have put the engine in a "limp mode", but then I would expect thecheck engine lightto go on too. Glad it's cleared up for you. Try keeping an eye on the coolant level, and leave your lead-lined boots at home!

Old 11-18-2007, 07:24 PM
4th Gear Member

Why would i want to do something stupid like that? lol

Ok so after driving around alil today i noticed that even tho the light has shut off im still getting that no torque sensation and my car doesnt shift until like 2500-3000 rpms. I checked my transmission fluid and its alil dark but it looks like its past the full point.. cant tell. After i got home and got out the gas smelt different, like it wasnt burning right... i dont have a catalytic converter but it smells different than usual.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

Why would i want to do something stupid like that? lol
Cuz you're less likely to break something with a 6!lol
Still no check engine light? Does the light even work (go on when you turn the key one click)? To possibly rule out a malfunction in the transmissions automatic controls, what happens if you throw it down into first and manually run it through the gears? Does it still feel the same?

Old 11-18-2007, 10:25 PM
4th Gear Member

hmmm.. i havent tested that kuz im afraid if it is my tranny it will break lol. What am i looking for in 1st and 2nd? will it not jerk down into gear if theres something wrong?

Old 11-19-2007, 12:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: Spartan66
im still getting that no torque sensation and my car doesnt shift until like 2500-3000 rpms.
Addressing this statement, what exactly do you mean about the rpm's, I read it two different ways? When driving it slightly harder than normal, it would automatically shift at an even higher rpm than that. Or are you saying that as long as you are cruising in first, it doesn't shift into 2nd till it hits between 2500-3000? If that's what it's doing, then that ain't normal! You're not going to do any harm byshifting it manually, unless you constantly wind the snot out of the engine and go banging through the gears. Then I'd be more worried about the rearend. I was just curious how it would shift if you did shift manually and wound the engine rpm to a higher point, below redline,maybe at a little more conservative limit? How does your torque feel then compared to it shifting on it's own? And just for fun, pop the hood and make sure your TV cable to the trans is still hooked up and functioning properly too. (and no, I didn't mean cable TV)!

Old 11-19-2007, 03:21 AM
4th Gear Member

yeah in 1st gear if i go to accelerate to get on the freeway for example ill go on the on ramp and it has a huge curve so ill go around it winding on to the freeway and as i come out of the turn i go from like 15 mph to 60... at a healthy rate.. not fast but not as if i were driving down the neighborhood. and it will just keep winding and winding until it hits 3000rpms, but usually i let off the gas kuz im afraid it wont shift at all. I didnt change gears manually kuz i was afraid something big would happen. The check engine light doesnt come on but im pretty damn sure ive seen it come on when i was having problems with my cooling system.

Also one more thing i noticed, going up hill at 40mph i feel a jerking, like my car is dragging *** trying to get up the hill. I make it, and i can accelerate up the hill, but it just feels like the rear end is jerking up the hill... Idk... a friend of mine told me it sounded like my timing was off.. not gonna lie my engine has been runnin alil rough, alot of ticking or knocking.. but that could be my exhaust (pretty sure ive got a leak in the pipes tho... bad weld.. previous owner.. long story..). My exhaust also smells funny, like different from normal.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:38 AM
4th Gear Member

im thinking theres either something wrong with the rear end or bad TQ converter?

Old 11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
4th Gear Member

Great... so nothing that would show up on a ecu scan obviously..

Quick Reply: Something is seriously wrong with my car.. and it has to do with a warning light on my guages