removing the door panels on a 95 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default removing the door panels on a 95 camaro

I'm replacing the locks in my 95 camaro (they aren't electric) and was wondering how to take of the door panels to replace these. The key I have only works on the trunk (doors aren't original) and have don't want to break my door panels to hell taking them off. I googled and didn't find very useful info. Thanks!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:05 AM
4th Gear Member

There are a few screws, I think 3, around the inside pull handle on the door that need removed. One is in the black plastic that goes around the handle and the others are in the part that you use to pull the door shut. If it has power windows, you will need to lower the windows, unplug the wiring harness from the switches and then the door panel lifts up off the door. Also take note of the manual lock slide button in the door handle part, it will need to be disconnected before lifting up. Either remove or be careful with the little black triangle piece that covers the mirror attachment point on the door. They break easy. Once the screws are removed and you have worked the plastic door handle piece out off the handle, just lift up on the panel and it comes off pretty easy. Care putting it back on so not to break off the plastic clips on the back of the door panel. They must be aligned properly before pushing down on the panel or they will bend and snap off leaving a dangling door panel.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:06 AM
1st Gear Member

There are five phillips head screws you have to remove - 2 big ones right in the middle of the door (near the grab handle), one big one that's hidden down and forward of the window switch plate, and one small one that's also down and forward of the window switch plate, and one behind the interior door release handle. Pop off the door lock plastic piece (with the orange square - the thing you push or pull to lock and unlock the door). If you just get a screwdriver behind it, it will pop off.

The trim panel that surrounds the interior door release handle and window switch plate can be removed now and is held in by clips. You'll have to manuver this trim panel around the door release handle and once you do, you can unplug the window and lock switches (if you have power windows or locks). The rest of the door is held on by clips. You have to pull the door panel up slightly and out - the clips are shaped like upside-down L's.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok thanks a lot guys. The weather here isn't the greatest so i'll have to wait for a somewhat decent day to come around again to get it done, but it doesn't sound too terrible. Not the first door panels I've ever taken off, and definatly easier than most i've done!