Overdrive Member
Technical User

so it appears the only thing worth any money on this car is the rims

also i keep getting lowballed at 100$ for the whole car

Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

This month is a bad time to try to sell anything project related. Many of us go on hold during the holiday season. Anytime you are talking a totaled car there are 4 points a junk yard will look at for value. Front clip, Rear clip, Doors and drivetrain. All the little stuff is concidered Gravy. From there is all supply and demand. If there is 10 rear clips at your local u-pullit yard then they are not going for much in your area. As a general rule "project cars" or "parts car" always sell for much less then the some of their parts. That why people buy them. If you dissemble the car and list each part on ebay you can make some money.

I bought a parts car one time for $200, it was a 72 inline 6. Reverse was out and the rear quaters where shot from rust. I got it for the windshield and the interior. I drove it home, The next day I called a buddy who let me have a used power glide for $100 we put it in and puddied up the rear and put a white paint job on it. (the car I need the interior for still did not have a motor in it) I drove that car for two year (about 35K) when the motor finally died. I took out the interior and the windshield, I sold the tranny for $75 and I got $50 for each door and the junk yard still gave me $35 for the shell.

The point I am trying to make is, its pretty common for guys to buy parts cars take what they need and sell it for almost what they paid for it.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

i saw the plates n thot..whoopsie. +1 gorn, when i first saw my car, lady wanted 7500, called in sept, went down to 5500, by mid sept got the z for 4500 the colder it got, they wanted to be rid of it, plus people dont drive these cars in the winter around here cept for me

Old 12-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i hear ya i really need to make money off this car tho to get a new one i only had like 400 saved up and thats what it cost to get the car towed so now im broke and my dads car was totaled like 3 mths ago and he still hasnt gotten one so all thats left is my moms 300 between 4 ppl we go thru a tank of gas every day

Old 12-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Overdrive Member

I bought my Sarah for $500, towed it home, put a new oil filter and 4 qts of oil in it, and got 3000 miles on the engine before it finally died. I knew it had a bad engine and I also knew the car was worth more than I paid but she knew she would not be able to sell if for its actual value with a bad engine.
Your car was in really good shape before it was wrecked, but the kind of hit you took is almost unrepairable. There is a chance your engine block was broken, or the timing cover and other front engine stuff is gone. So as a whole the car is only a couple hundred. As parts this can can prolly get you a grand or so, but again you lost the parts that most people want on these cars which is the nose of the car. This spring will be when you see the most for the car and parts since that is when people start playing with the toys, or fixing the damage that happened in the bad weather.

I dont mean to sound like I am putting you down here, I am not. I am just trying to put into perspective what is really going on out there. Percieved value and actual value are usually not even close to each other.

Massey

Old 12-27-2010, 08:34 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

He told me that the car starts up and runs fine. Just can't put it in gear.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

sarah was 500??? high way robbery... thats a bargain n a half.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

starts runs i only had it running for about 30 seconds tho

its not that i cant get it into gear its i cant get it out of gear its stuck in 3rd or 5th the subframe was all bent and moved the engine and trans back like 5 or 6 inches and now the actual gear shift is hitting the floor of the car

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 12-28-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

needs a little tlc but if the price is right
http://greenville.craigslist.org/bar/2129102233.html
im gunna call the guy tomorrow

i also found an 85 that was a complete LT1 swap including the 6 speed and the Z rear for 1200 needs a new motor and i found a 97 LT1 engine trans and wiring with 86k for 800

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 12-28-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Overdrive Member

Yea $500 and when I found out the oil filter was the failure I offered it back to the lady I bought if from. I felt bad about taking her like that but she said she bought a new truck and that I could keep the car. The engine was still bad but at the time I thought that I only had an oil filter that was not put on properly. 3000 miles later I spun the bearing on #5 rod and popped the oil filter just like it was the day I bought it. I have the skills to make the repairs so for me the car was a great deal.

Massey