Project L36 Sleeper

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:14 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

the only thing im thinking of allowing it to full boost at launch and stay during shifts is a variable geometry turbo with something that instantly actuates during the lift for the shift. i know detroit and large engine trucks use vgt, and usually spool 2-5 psi of boost at idle. take a listen to 03 and up freightliners, its very obvious when they are stopped and all you hear is the turbo

Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Two Cylinders Short of Win

Where did you get that mounting plate? If you custom made it, do you know where I would be able to purchase one of those?

Originally Posted by MusicMan
Mounted my wideband today, cost: free.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:48 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I made that with some aluminum I had laying in the shed. At the time I refused to have a gauge pod, so I made that thing. But now I'm basically being forced to have a pod, too much stuff that I need to keep my eye on well... the boost gauge is worth looking at

Build update: Nothing. I stopped and slowed down since I'm not going to have it done in time to make a pass this year. Selling some of my stocks to buy the rest of the parts, namely all the pipes/couplers to finish the charge/intercooler piping, 65lb injectors, racetronix pump, also going to buy everything to have a local guy make me a single over-axle 3.5" mandrel bent exhaust. I was going to buy a spohn tubular k-member, but I'm going to focus on more important stuff first. Instead of coming out without gloves early, I'm going to finish it and come out swinging hard when the season opens again. It'll be on a street tune and low boost until I head to the Norwalk Buick meet in the spring, when I can have a company that knows the 3800 very well dyno tune it for high boost. Over there in Ohio is when I'll attempt my 11 second runs, over here I'll be aiming for anything 12's until then. The tune is going to be a big deal on this thing, I'm going to be pushing the limits of what the engine I built can handle, so if the tune is off at all, it'll kill itself.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:57 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Parts I just ordered:
Racetronix pump kit
65lb injectors
lt1 maf
o2 extensions (they were on sale)
maf blockoff
turbo outlet v-band flange/clamp
fittings for oil feed

Things I need to buy (this list is finally short!):
Silicone couplers
Stainless mandrel bends (for i/c)
Mild steel mandrel bends (for downpipe)
Flex tube (for DP)
Air filter

Total budget on this project so far is about $6500, not bad for zero corners cut yet. I expect to be about $7000 by the time I'm done and running. And the tune is going to cost $500, of which I'll have 2 done (1 by a local shop that tuned it last time who will get it streetable, and 1 by most likely Intense Racing in Ohio when I lean on it, need a tuner with a lot of 3800 experience due to pushing the boundaries like I will, can't wait until late May though). After EVERYTHING is all said and done, I'll be in this project about $8000. Still gonna need a stronger rear end and driveshaft at some point, yikes.

Yes, that's a crap load of money to spend on a V6. Could I have done this cheaper? Certainly, easily could've cut costs in half. But I'm using high end components everywhere I can. You could achieve my goal with a much cheaper MP turbo, and cheaper parts throughout, but I'm shooting for a very reliable street car that is a blast on the track when I want. Keep in mind that I still intend to achieve upper 20's for gas mileage, might even try for 30+. And with the turn of a **** and a flip of a switch, run 11's.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:43 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I just spent all of my Computer Information Systems Class reading this thread. Great build you have going there. I can't wait to see what kind of numbers you put down. My initial goal is to trade my car + $ for a 3.8 and build it up to outrun stock z28's. Now I know where to go when I need advice on what I need to do to make that happen! Thanks MusicMan!!!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
I just spent all of my Computer Information Systems Class reading this thread. Great build you have going there. I can't wait to see what kind of numbers you put down. My initial goal is to trade my car + $ for a 3.8 and build it up to outrun stock z28's. Now I know where to go when I need advice on what I need to do to make that happen! Thanks MusicMan!!!!!
Really? you have been on this sight since May and you are just now seeing this. This should be required reading for all V6ers. Or at least required reading before some one asks "Can I put a supercharger or turbo on my stock V6 with 118K on it."

If I remember right before this thread there was another thread where Music man reviewed a lot of options and covered a lot of the miss information that is out on the net. It would be good to stick a link to that on the first page.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:58 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes, I'm still going on this

Old 12-13-2010, 10:40 AM
1st Gear Member

going turbo now? no nitrous? good to see your still working on it

Old 12-13-2010, 03:13 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, turbo. And I didn't say I wasn't going to use nitrous

Old 01-29-2011, 12:55 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

get any good stuff for xmas? about time for a update on whats up with the build.

Quick Reply: Project L36 Sleeper