Project Bone Maro 2000 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:47 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

your bcm may be acting up. i want to see a picture of that 57 in the garage. lol. massey beat me to it. lol

Old 01-31-2011, 11:27 PM
Overdrive Member

THe car looks good. If you get bored I will gladly take it off your hands.

Massey

Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Overdrive Member

Not sure I like the idea of stainless rotors. Stainless Steel does not have very good heat managing properties. I would stick with iron for the rotors personally. What problems are you having with the Calipers? What kind are you going for any way? The ones you have on the car are pretty good for 2 piston floating. Here is a link to some nice ones from your local O'Reilly auto part stores.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...000&vi=1358546

They list front, Rear, loaded and unloaded. The price is reasonable as well.

I have been looking at perfomance brakes for my Camaro for a while now and the best I think for the money is the Wilwood sets. They have a set that can use the OEM size rotor so you can keep your stock 16" rims.

http://wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKi...emno=140-10691

This will let you keep your rims you have and give you superior performance over OEM.

Here is a link to all of Wilwood's 2000 Camaro kits.

http://wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKi...=Camaro&option=

Hope this gives you some options.

Massey

Old 02-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Overdrive Member

I was all about the Baer system at first. Great brakes but they dont have a caliper for the rear of the disk brake Camaros, and you have to replace the spindle with the Baer spindle to get their system to mount properly. This is why I want to use the Wilwood system, it uses the stock 98-02 spindle (you will have to change it out if you own a 93-97) and if you want to upgrade in the future the claiper is the same just the mounting bracket that moved the caliper out farther to accomidate the larger rotor is all that is needed. They also offer a Fixed caliper for the rear as well so you can have a matched set. IMO a much better designed system.

Massey

Old 02-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Overdrive Member

Keep looking in your local yards for 97-02s and you should be able to get the parts needed cheap.

Massey

Old 02-04-2011, 07:51 AM
1st Gear Member

98-02 right? or was the 97 LT1 trim the same?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Overdrive Member

The 97 was the first year of the new dash and YES they are the same from 97-02. V6 or V8 does not matter but Auto or manual will matter.

Massey

Old 02-04-2011, 08:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Ahhh, ok so new engine in 98 but same basic interior. Good to know thanks for sharing your massive knowledge...yet again

Old 02-06-2011, 03:55 AM
Overdrive Member

The monsoon system is pretty simple really. All your speaker wires go to the right rear of the car and to the amp that is behind the spare tire. From there you got each individual speaker comming out for 8 total. There are 4 channels to the amp and 2 built in crossovers. The first set is the front doors. There are 2 speakers per door one 6.5" full range and a tweeter on the crossover. The rear is set up with a full range 4" in the way back trunk area and 2 subs in the back seat area. The subs are on a crossover set to low pass. If you go with aftermarket speakers here you can buy new 6.5" subs but they are crazy expensive, or you can rewire the amp's outputs to move the full range to the rear seats and the sub channel to the way back. That way you can add cheaper 10" subs to the rear of the car. The tweeters and full range in the door are pretty easy to swap out. I just got a 2way 6.5" speaker and tied that to the full range leads and left the tweeter leads alone.

Massey

Old 02-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Overdrive Member

The spare tire is behind the trim on the right side of the trunk. There should be 3 screw like plastic fasteners. Once that is off you can access the jack, and spare tire. Behind the tire you will see a black box which is the amp.

If you want to lose the amp then yes you will have to rewire the speakers in the car since all the speaker wires to straight to the amp and not to the door and other locations. If you want to keep the amp then the only rewiring you will need to do is for the rear seats if you decide to put full range speakers there.

The factory amp is a 4 channel amp. L&R front and L&R Rear. but there are 8 speakers total. The fronts have a high pass crossover that feeds the tweeters and the rear has a low pass crossover that feeds the subs. These crossovers are built into the amp and cannot be removed.

Massey

Quick Reply: Project Bone Maro 2000 Z28