Ok so here is my first project car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:02 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^Same with my car lol. It's my DD until it dies. Then it becomes a project car!

Old 05-13-2011, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

lol yeah. I do have a question with differential? how do you go about changing that and or fixing a slight leak? I think its a gasket. I know I need to replace my oil and trans gasket.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok Resurrecting my old topic in order to give a feeble attempt at keeping the forum tidy SO as some have seen, my camaro has been blessed with a wonderful dent on my front hood. That is honestly the biggest problem I have with my car. It is the first thing people see. My dad has bugged the living H E double hockey sticks outta me to buy a bra and "just cover it up. I personally hate the look of lingerie on cars, and do not wish to put one on. And I especially do not want to buy one for 75 bucks. Now back to the subject. I was tossing and turning in bed when my mind wondered to my cars hood and I said, what the heck, let me see what craigslisth as to offer. So i go on, type camaro hood, scroll some and VIOLA!!! A good lookin 94 camaro hood priced for 50 bucks IN my region. The only problem. Its red. So the big question here is, what are all the steps I would need to do inorder to do the best darned rattle can job to the hood. I do believe I will have access to a nice shop to do this in, so hopefully outside pests won't be a problem. Plus the hood being so cheap, I can put probably 50 bucks into paint supplies for it. I'll probably shop around and see if anyone could paint it for cheap professionally. But otherwise, I am hoping to use this as a learning experience. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:39 AM
1st Gear Member

My dad actually brought up the paint of trying to get the paint color to match due to 18 years of sun exposure. So a second color idea could be would the hood look good in black? Since the car already has black accents

Old 06-16-2011, 09:24 AM
April 2012 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

black is what i would go with anything else would just look bad

Old 06-16-2011, 03:05 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I painted my front bumper cover. Check out my thread in the 4th gen section to see what I did. It turned out very good. Just make sure you have access to a buffer before you attempt this. If not, you'll have a faded hood and the rest of the car will be shiny haha

Old 06-16-2011, 03:09 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 08-11-2012, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

So after a lot of soul searching as well as not being able to snag a newer camaro(Thanks high tuition) for the time being I've decided to keep the 3.4l and get as much outta her as I can. Figured I already have a good chunk of money invested into it i might as well keep it until it explodes lol. So for the time being, I need to improve my gas mileage and do regular maintenance on the car. I am really hoping to have this all done in a few weeks. So here goes

Maintenance list:
Switch to Synthetic Oil
New trans fluid and filter
New differential Fluid
Check spark plugs and Wires
Air filter
Front and rear brake job

I do have a few questions however. The last time I checked my oil (very close to the 3k mark) I needed to add nearly a quart. If the engine is using oil that fast would it make sense to go to synthetic? Would it not burn off as much? Should I test this with a synthetic blend first or go full out?

After going through the majority of the grunt work and getting the car running at its top, I want to work through a little cosmetic work. Tint the windows all around. I have tint on the back but its cheap film, not sure if I'll keep it yet. After that I have a little rust in the door well and above my rear tire in the fender, I am hoping that its repairable and hoping I can get that done before a lot of heavy snow. After repairing rust I also hope to hone my paint skills to where I can paint up some nasty scratches my girl got over the years.

Currently I am thinking I will have a lot done before snow sets in as long as weather and funds permit.

On another note, what color scheme do you guys think would look good? I want to do some interior work, at leasxt the cheaper stuff, and I am trying to think of what would go good with green. I've seen Green and Black so much it almost seems over done. I was thinking maybe green and silver. Think that be good?

Guess I'll end the post there and we will see where everything is at. I'll probably be price checking everything tonight. I still have a long list of stuff that needs to be done but hopefully things will really begin to look up

Old 08-11-2012, 02:19 AM
4th Gear Member

Just read the whole thread and really surprised I never found this till now. Lol.
Any ways, I'd check to see if you got a leak somewhere first. If you're "using" oil that fast...something else is wrong. If you're gonna switch to synthetic get something good. I run Mobil 1. But Royal Purple or Pennzoil will do well too.

And I'm surprised your insurance would go up that much had you gotten a V8 instead. Mine went up $30 from my Buick Century and that was with two prior speeding tickets.

For paint, I'd say a candy apple color. It'd be expensive, but done right and they look sexy as all get out.

Oh, before I forget, awesome thread. Will be watching this one.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Well its not just insurance its the actual price of the car. I've basically explained to my girlfriend that if I see a good car for a good price v6 or v8, I'll probably pop. For now don't think that will happen anytime soon. I did find a 99 red v6 5 spd for 4grand but after selling mine for the lowest possible price of 2k I would still need another 2 grand and you can't get a car loan that small lol. But I know I have a small oil leak from the pan gasket I just remembered so I know that will need to be added to the list. As for paint I won't be repainting the car just touching arund where needed. If I can blend it well enough. I might get a buddy of mine to help out since he does that sorta thing.

Quick Reply: Ok so here is my first project car!