Ok so here is my first project car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default My progress thread

So I've been posting around the forums some and getting a little help with my new ride. (thanks to everyone for helping) I am currently driving a 1994 Camaro 3.4 v6. The car has 159,000 miles and seems to be running strong. This is my third car actually, first was a Chrysler cirrus, next mercury mistake, and finally I was able to convince my dad to let me buy myself my first sportier car. I know its no z28 but with an 18 year old's insurance, the v6 will do. Plus it beats the crap outta my old mercury. Anyways, the car is far from perfect. Has some paint issues, a few body issues. The hood is dented nicely and front bumper cracked below the light. Mechanically, the car is running. It drives, goes, and stops. However, the car has not been as well maintained as my dad and I initially thought.

My project started with me working on a nice tune up, and learning how to do the, tune up lol. Put new plugs and wires, had a oil change and air filter replaced. The dealer put a new oil pressure regulator, or whatever it was called on it, and a new muffler. As of now, everything we have found on the car seems to have been from factory. So I am concentrating on getting everything that should have been done up to 150,000 miles, done. Im hoping to really get this started tomorrow by replacing the trans fluid myself ( no fast oil shops) and putting a new fuel filter on it. I'll hopefully be posting often with updates. And once again, thanks to everyone who has helped me with the car so far.

Name:  IMG_1924.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  62.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1916.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  49.4 KB

Last edited by tjsmar; 05-08-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:12 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

cool, hood and bumper cover, some paint and your good to go. you may want to look at replacing your headgaskets in the near future if they have not been done yet. they seem to be the weak point on the 3.4 and once they go you get coolant in the oil and that will make sort the life of the motor. anifreeze ruins the bearings even if its in the oil for a short time. anyways keep that in mind so when working on the motor you can look and see if theres signs of the headgaskets being changed.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah, thats kinda the whole goal of doing these tune ups. Performing easier fixes so that I dont have to spend 2k+ on a engine or trans. How much would head gaskets run me do you think?

Old 04-01-2011, 02:11 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if doing yourself its a head gasket set. check around the net and you can get a idea of cost. i would recomend you pick up a factory sevice manual for your yr. this set looks kinda rough but its the cheapest set i seen on a quick searh. 1994 Chevy Camaro Pontiac Firebird Service Manual Set - eBay (item 380164036894 end time Apr-24-11 10:17:54 PDT)

Old 04-01-2011, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Well got step one done. Went out and bought a Haynes manual for the car the day i got it

Old 04-01-2011, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Today my girlfriends Uncle came by the shop while we were all checking out our cars, he helped us with the huge car lift they had. (Couldn't figure out how to work the jack stands lol) WHen it came to my car he checked my trans fluid and said it seems to have been done within the last 10,000 miles or so and it should have a good amount of time left in it. I told him about the fuel pressure and he went into the shop and brought back his $500 pressure gauge and hooked it right on up. when the key is in the "on" position, it reads 20 PSI and then quickly drops to 0. Correct me If im wrong but Im sure thats low and thats what causing the lousy starting. We called Van Senus and they priced it at $153, advanced autos priced it at $164. But thankfully with some shopping arund, found it at autozone for 45.99. And just to be sure here is the part

Gp Sorensen/Fuel Pressure Regulator (800-122) | 1994 Chevrolet Camaro 6 Cylinders S 3.4L SFI | AutoZone.com

If thats it, I'll be picking one up and installing asap.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I also found a guy that will sell me his 200 camaro's wiper arms and linkage and the interior trunk liners. My question is will the 2000's trunk liners fit my years? I know that year of camaros had speakers in the back and mine do not, would they still fit and is there a way could make the speakers function in my car? One last thing, a 2000 camaro's hood will not fit a 94 will it?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:42 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

No the 2000 hood will not fit your car. Yes you can use the hatch paneling from a 2000 model. I did. But I took the speakers out of the panels. It's a waste to have them because you can't really hear them anyways. If you want good sound, get a good set of components for your doors and a nice head unit. A sub helps too lol.

As for mods on a 1994 3.4 Camaro, I recommend the following: CAI, Exhaust, 1-piece driveshaft, Headers, SS Sway Bars, Stiffer Springs, Shock Tower Brace, Z28 Limited Slip Rear end w/Disk Brakes and 3.42 Gears. All of that put together will make your car jump out of it's socks for being a v6. Any questions, check out my progress thread. I have a ton of pics that should give you a good idea on what will and wont work on your car. I've done so much stuff to mine that it's hard to name it all. Good luck and let us know how things go with it. Here's a link to my car's progress thread:
https://camaroforums.com/forum/4th-g...-thread-58731/

Old 04-02-2011, 12:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks chaotic that will help. I was beginning to wonder what all i could do, thanks to emissions, that limited a lot =/ Hate Indiana sometimes lol. But due to needing a new pressure regulator and not knowing about how much thats going to cost, I am going to hold off on the wipers for now. I was hoping to get the cai in a few weeks, but again, the regulator seems like it can be anywhere from 45 to 173

Old 04-02-2011, 01:11 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

How are you sure it's the regulator? Could it be the fuel pump? My fuel pump got weak a while back and was doing exactly what your car is doing.

Quick Reply: Ok so here is my first project car!